Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

ENCORE!

All the fun of the FIAC: Contemporary art fair rolls into town

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Whistleblower James Wasserstrom slams UN over its failure to fight corruption

Read more

LIFESTYLES

New garden concepts

Read more

FOCUS

Indian uranium mines take heavy toll on locals and environment

Read more

WEB NEWS

Calls for Mexican president to resign gain traction

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Brazil: The battle for undecided voters

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Drugmakers to join forces in tackling Ebola

Read more

DEBATE

Rape as a weapon of war: How to stop impunity in eastern Congo? (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Rape as a weapon of war: How to stop impunity in eastern Congo?

Read more

Middle east

Prosecutor submits indictments for murder of former PM Hariri

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-01-17

The UN-backed Special Tribunal for Lebanon says its prosecutor has issued indictments for the 2005 assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri, a week after a dispute about the tribunal caused the government to collapse.

AFP - The prosecutor of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon submitted a confidential indictment Monday against suspects in the 2005 murder of Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri, the tribunal said. 

"The prosecutor of the tribunal has submitted an indictment and supporting materials to the pre-trial judge," the tribunal said in a statement in The Hague, where it is based for security reasons.
             
Prosecutor Daniel Bellemare presented the documents, widely believed to implicate Hezbollah, to the tribunal's registry at 4:35pm (1535 GMT), it said.
             
They "will now be reviewed by the pre-trial judge, Daniel Fransen", who has to confirm the charges before any arrest warrant or summons to appear can be issued.
             
The STL was created at Lebanon's request by a 2007 UN Security Council resolution to find and try the killers of Hariri, assassinated in a massive car bombing on the Beirut seafront on February 14, 2005 that also killed 22 other people.
             
Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah vowed on Sunday the group would "defend" itself against likely charges by the tribunal, which it said was a tool of the United States and Israel.
             
The Shiite militant group, which enjoys the backing of Iran and Syria, withdrew from the Lebanese cabinet last Wednesday in protest against the ongoing UN-backed investigation, prompting the collapse of the unity government led by Western-backed Prime Minister Saad Hariri, son of the murdered premier.
             
Talks on naming a new premier were postponed earlier on Monday.
             
The pre-trial judge should need six to 10 weeks to confirm the charges, tribunal registrar Herman von Hebel told journalists in The Hague in December.
             
He could also decide to reject the indictment in whole or in part, or ask the prosecutor for additional information.
             
A trial could follow "our to six months" after the confirmation of the charges, according to Von Hebel.
             
The STL's rules allows for a trial to be held "in absentia", meaning without the accused being present, if arrests are impossible.
             
Hezbollah, "Party of God" in Arabic, has warned the group will "cut off the hand" of anyone who tries to arrest any of its members for the Hariri killing, raising fears of renewed Sunni-Shiite sectarian violence, 20 years after the end of a 15-year civil war.
             
The tribunal opened its doors in The Hague in 2009, four years after Hariri's murder triggered a political crisis that caused the withdrawal of Syrian troops after a 29-year presence in Lebanon.
             
Damascus has consistently denied involvement in the killing.

 

Date created : 2011-01-17

  • DIPLOMACY

    France, Syria fear violence if Hariri probe indicts Hezbollah

    Read more

COMMENT(S)