The fall of Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali's forcibly secular regime is likely to pave the way for the rise of Islamic influence in Tunisia, from moderate Muslims taking a greater role in party politics to extremist infiltration from neighbouring Algeria.
REUTERS - For years they were jailed or exiled. They were excluded from elections, banned from politics, and played no visible role in Tunisia's Jasmine Revolution.
Exclusive reports from Tunis.
- Tunisian parliament fires PM in no-confidence vote
- Tunisia steps up security measures to reassure tourists
- Tunisia's Ennahda ‘to separate politics from religion’
- Several Tunisia police dead after raid on southern governorate of Tatouine
- Jihadists, police killed in Tunisian security operations
- Troops in Tunisia kill at least 10 militants around Ben Guerdan
- Chris Moore reports from the Tunisian capital.
Date created : 2011-01-22