The fall of Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali's forcibly secular regime is likely to pave the way for the rise of Islamic influence in Tunisia, from moderate Muslims taking a greater role in party politics to extremist infiltration from neighbouring Algeria.
REUTERS - For years they were jailed or exiled. They were excluded from elections, banned from politics, and played no visible role in Tunisia's Jasmine Revolution.
Exclusive reports from Tunis.
- Israel warns of terror threat against Jews in Tunisia
- Video: France, Tunisia ‘face savage terrorism’
- Tunisian forces kill nine militants ahead of anti-terror march
- Fourth French citizen dies of Tunisia attack wounds
- Tunisia arrests 23 suspects over Bardo museum attack
- Tunisia museum reopening cancelled over security fears
- Chris Moore reports from the Tunisian capital.
Date created : 2011-01-22