The fall of Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali's forcibly secular regime is likely to pave the way for the rise of Islamic influence in Tunisia, from moderate Muslims taking a greater role in party politics to extremist infiltration from neighbouring Algeria.
REUTERS - For years they were jailed or exiled. They were excluded from elections, banned from politics, and played no visible role in Tunisia's Jasmine Revolution.
Exclusive reports from Tunis.
- Tunisia takes in new wave of Libyan refugees
- Italy: The search for missing migrants
- A mysterious lake appears in Tunisia, while another disappears in Iran
- Stranded in Tunisia, the forgotten refugees of Libya’s 2011 conflict
- Tunisia's Carthage International Festival turns 50
- 'From the Great Satan to the great rapprochement'
- Chris Moore reports from the Tunisian capital.
Date created : 2011-01-22