Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

DEBATE

MH17: Punishing Putin? (part two)

Read more

DEBATE

MH17: Punishing Putin?

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Competing narratives in Malaysia Airlines disaster coverage

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Kenya : Police arrest 8 over Mombasa rampage

Read more

FOCUS

Overfishing and the global appetite for bluefin tuna: can Tokyo turn the tide?

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Too many graphic images from Gaza ?

Read more

FASHION

Who's next in Paris, an event with international ready-to-wear and fashion accessories collections

Read more

ENCORE!

Tunisia's Carthage International Festival turns 50

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

Muslims and Christians clean up Bangui, and violence spirals out of control in Algeria's Gardaia

Read more

  • Netherlands to honour MH17 victims in national day of mourning

    Read more

  • Defying UK, France to proceed with warships sale to Russia

    Read more

  • Israel hits Gaza targets despite diplomatic push for ceasefire

    Read more

  • US courts issue conflicting reports on Obamacare

    Read more

  • Video: Lebanon fears fallout from regional turmoil

    Read more

  • Widodo wins Indonesian presidential election

    Read more

  • Flight MH17 shot down ‘by mistake', US intelligence indicates

    Read more

  • US, European airlines suspend flights to Tel Aviv

    Read more

  • Australian veteran Rogers claims 16th stage of Tour de France

    Read more

  • France gives go-ahead to pro-Palestinian Paris rally

    Read more

  • French Jews mourn French-Israeli soldier killed in Gaza

    Read more

  • PSG punished by UEFA for abuse of disabled Chelsea fans

    Read more

  • Colombia's Rodriguez signs '€80m' contract with Real Madrid

    Read more

  • Children killed in minibus crash in eastern France

    Read more

  • A call for harmony in riot-hit ‘Little Jerusalem’ Paris suburb

    Read more

Americas

Haiti to deliver controversial first-round election results

Latest update : 2011-01-29

Haiti's provisional electoral council has set March 20 as a new date for a second-round vote. The council is promising to have final results of the disputed first round completed by February 2.

AFP - Haiti's election commission has said it will announce definitive results from the first round of a disputed November vote on Wednesday and has scheduled a second round for March 20.

The final results of the second round will be announced on April 16, the Provisional Electoral Council (CEP) said Friday.

The announcement came as US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was expected in Haiti on Sunday for talks with President Rene Preval on the disputed election, earthquake recovery and a deadly cholera outbreak.

Haiti's political unrest continues

The announcement of preliminary first round results last month kicked off days of unrest in the earthquake-ravaged country when Preval's handpicked candidate narrowly edged a popular singer out of the second round run-off.

But earlier this week the ruling party bowed to weeks of US-led pressure and widespread allegations of fraud, announcing that its candidate Jude Celestin would not advance to the next round.

However, Celestin has yet to confirm his exit, and his spokesman said the CEP has not been officially notified.

Celestin's exit would appear to leave the field open to Mirlande Manigat, a former first lady and the clear winner of the first round, and Michel Martelly, the popular singer widely known as "Sweet Micky."

Haitians had hoped the presidential and parliamentary elections would bring a new leadership that could rebuild the country after a devastating earthquake a year ago killed more than 220,000 people.

Little has been rebuilt since the catastrophe, which left much of the capital, including the presidential palace, in rubble.

The country is also battling a raging cholera epidemic that has killed more than 4,000 people since mid-October.

According to preliminary results from the November 28 poll, Celestin garnered 7,000 more votes than Martelly, securing a place in the run-off.

Within hours of the announcement, protests swept Haitian towns, leaving five dead and the country in crisis as opposition candidates accused Preval and the electoral commission of rigging the poll.

A team of international monitors called in by Preval found widespread vote tampering and fraud in Celestin's favor and recommended that he withdraw.

The CEP said Friday that the second round campaign would run from February 17 to March 18 and that the preliminary results would be announced March 31.

The tense political standoff was thrown into further confusion earlier this month by the surprise return of Jean-Claude "Baby Doc" Duvalier, a former strongman driven out by massive protests 25 years ago.

The 59-year-old has not ruled out a return to politics, but he faces charges and lawsuits stemming from his 1971-1986 reign, when his secret Tonton Macoutes police terrorized the population and his family and allies allegedly plundered hundreds of millions of dollars from state coffers.

Within 48 hours of Duvalier's unexpected return, government prosecutors slapped him with a slew of charges, and six private lawsuits have been filed against him over alleged human rights violations and torture.

Date created : 2011-01-29

  • HAITI

    Haiti's former dictator ‘Baby Doc’ Duvalier sued for torture

    Read more

  • HAITI

    Former dictator Duvalier charged with corruption, theft

    Read more

  • HAITI

    'Baby Doc' Duvalier returns amid power vacuum

    Read more

COMMENT(S)