Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Netanyahu deletes tweet featuring photo of James Foley

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Read more

FOCUS

Lifting the veil over China's air pollution

Read more

ENCORE!

Tango Takeover in Paris

Read more

WEB NEWS

Calls for ISIS media blackout after execution of James Foley

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Steely resolve of reporters exploited by pared-down employers'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US judge calls Argentina bond swap offer illegal

Read more

  • Europe launches navigation satellites to rival GPS

    Read more

  • Philippines to repatriate UN troops in Liberia over Ebola fears

    Read more

  • US ramps up rhetoric against IS, brands journalist’s beheading a ‘terrorist attack’

    Read more

  • Besieged by problems, Hollande faces unhappy return from summer holidays

    Read more

  • US demands Russia withdraw aid convoy from Ukraine

    Read more

  • Rights group sues US government over ‘deportation mill’

    Read more

  • Colombian army and FARC rebels begin work on ceasefire

    Read more

  • US National Guard starts to pull out of embattled Missouri town

    Read more

  • PSG fall flat once more against Evian

    Read more

  • Fed Chair says US job market still hampered by Great Recession

    Read more

  • August 22, 1914: The bloodiest day in French military history

    Read more

  • Central African Republic announces coalition cabinet

    Read more

  • Hamas publicly executes "informers"

    Read more

  • French firebrand leftist to quit party presidency, but not politics

    Read more

  • Fear of Ebola sky-high among Air France workers

    Read more

  • US says Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen'

    Read more

  • Malaysia mourns as remains of MH17 victims arrive home

    Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

Africa

Scores dead in clashes between S. Sudanese army and rebels

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-02-11

At least 100 people have been killed after rebels of the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA) clashed with the army of the newly independent South Sudan.

AFP - A spate of attacks by rebels against the south Sudanese army in the region's troubled Jonglei state killed 105 people, 39 of them civilians, an army spokesman said on Friday, leaving a hard-won truce in tatters.

"On the side of the military that includes the SPLA, the police and the prison services, 20 were killed in Fangak town, while 30 of Athor's men were killed," Philip Aguer told AFP.

He was referring to renegade southern general George Athor, whose supporters attacked troops of the south's Sudan People's Liberation Army on Wednesday evening, shattering a "permanent ceasefire" they signed just last month.

"Sadly, there were 39 civilians killed, including women and children, and 65 others wounded," as well as 30 wounded SPLA troops, Aguer said, adding that the fighting had now halted.

The latest reported deaths from clashes in Fangak town on Wednesday evening and Thursday morning represent a dramatic jump from an earlier toll of 16 people killed in fighting between southern troops and the rebels in the Door area of Fangak county.

"The number of casualties is high because the attacks were a surprise. This is something we were not expecting because we trusted the ceasefire that was signed," Aguer said.

There was no immediate response from Athor when AFP tried to contact him by phone, but speaking to the independent Sudan Radio Service on Thursday he accused the SPLA of starting the attacks.

Medics at Malakal hospital, in neighbouring Upper Nile state, said that several people wounded in the fighting had already arrived and they were expecting to receive more.

"We are preparing ourselves to be ready for any help we can give to those who may come," said Tut Gony, the hospital's medical director.

Athor launched his rebellion last year after claiming he was cheated in an election for the governorship of Jonglei state, the south's most populous.

Athor's men signed the January ceasefire with the southern army just days before a landmark referendum on independence for the south but he himself stayed away from the signing ceremony in the regional capital Juba.

Southern officials have charged he used the ceasefire period to recruit more fighters.

The attacks come just days after the formal confirmation of the results of the January 9-15 referendum, which showed almost 99 percent of southerners voted to secede and split Africa's largest country in two.

Previously the southern army had accused Athor and his men of acting on behalf of Khartoum in a bid to destabilise the south, a charge northern officials have denied.

Analysts have said that maintaining security in the fledgling southern nation, which is due to win international recognition in July, will be a major challenge.

Clashes in oil-producing Upper Nile state earlier this month killed 54 people and wounded 85, according to United Nations estimates, when southern former militiamen inside the northern army rebelled against orders to surrender their heavy weapons.

On Wednesday, a gunman shot dead southern minister Jimmy Lemi Milla in his office, an attack reported to be motivated by a personal dispute.
 

Date created : 2011-02-11

  • SUDAN

    South Sudanese minister, bodyguard shot and killed inside ministry

    Read more

  • SUDAN

    Final results confirm South Sudan independence

    Read more

  • SUDAN

    Over 99 percent of South Sudanese vote 'yes' to independence

    Read more

COMMENT(S)