A state funeral for former South African president Nelson Mandela will be held on December 15, President Jacob Zuma has announced in a televised address. The anti-apartheid hero will be buried in his ancestral home of Qunu in the country’s Eastern Cape.
Latest update: 18/02/2011
Tunisia after Ben Ali - Special programme (Part 1)
On December 17th 2010, Mohammed Bouazizi, a 26-year-old Tunisian, set himself alight in protest at his treatment by local police. Exactly two months on, France 24 looks back at how one desperate act led to the fall of a dictator who had been in power for 23 years, and spread the seeds of popular revolt to an entire region.
- Moncef CHEIKH-ROUHOU, Professor of international finance
- Moncef M. BOUHAFA, Tunisian-American media consultant, former Unicef official
- Saïd KECHIDA, Tunisian Economist and Policy Analyst
- Nedra CHERIF, Member of the Byrsa Bureau
- Lina BEN MHENNI, France 24 Observer (By satellite from Tunis)
- Adrianus KOETSENRUIJTER, Ambassador, Chief of the European Commission delegation in Tunis (By satellite from Tunis)
- Ahdaf SOUEIF, Egyptian novelist and political commentator (by phone from Cairo)
Programme prepared by Perrine Desplats and Yi Song.