Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

WEB NEWS

Providing Internet to rural areas

Read more

WEB NEWS

290 Syrian cultural sites damaged by civil war

Read more

WEB NEWS

The best viral Christmas ads of 2012

Read more

FASHION

Fashion, what's happened in 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

France: 2014 in review

Read more

#THE 51%

South Africa: Taking a stand against child marriage

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book (part 2)

Read more

REPORTERS

France 24’s best documentaries of 2014

Read more

Sports

Formula One boss wants Bahrain protests to 'blow away'

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-02-18

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone is hoping deadly anti-government protests will cease so the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix can go ahead as scheduled on 13 March.

AP - Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone is hoping deadly anti-government protests will cease so the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix can go ahead as scheduled.

Ecclestone says a decision over the March 13 opener will come next week with the race in risk of becoming the first one canceled in F1 history.

Ecclestone says, "Our people there say, 'It's quiet, no problems.' I'm more hopeful today... Let's hope this all blows away.'' Ecclestone's comments came as Bahrain security forces fired more tear gas on protest marchers in Manama on Friday.

So far, five people are reported dead and at least 230 wounded from the Egypt-style protests following a brutal crackdown Thursday on a protest encampment in Manama.

Date created : 2011-02-18

  • BAHRAIN

    Bahrain mourns protesters amid fears of new unrest

    Read more

  • BAHRAIN

    Big powers warily eye revolt in the world's smallest Arab nation

    Read more

  • BAHRAIN

    Bahrain in turmoil as second protester is killed

    Read more

COMMENT(S)