Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

A landslide victory for the 'invisible candidate' in Algeria's Presidential polls

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 18 April 2014

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 18 April 2014 (part 2)

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Presidential adviser resigns over "shoe-shine scandal"

Read more

#THE 51%

Breaking stereotypes

Read more

#TECH 24

Galaxy S5 v. HTC One (M8): Which is the right one for you?

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

New PM Manuel Valls outlines priorities

Read more

FASHION

Jean-Marc Loubier, bags and shoes.

Read more

ENCORE!

Hip-hop musician Beat Assailant on mixing the sounds of the city

Read more

  • French journalists abducted in Syria freed

    Read more

  • South Korea ferry captain defends decision to delay evacuation

    Read more

  • In pictures: Good Friday celebrated across the globe

    Read more

  • Bouteflika, the ghost president

    Read more

  • Does Valls’ upcoming Vatican trip violate French secularism?

    Read more

  • Ukraine separatists say ‘not bound’ by Geneva deal

    Read more

  • Abel Ferrara’s hotly awaited DSK film to premiere on web

    Read more

  • Obama signs bill to block controversial Iran diplomat from UN post

    Read more

  • Ukraine: ‘One bloody incident could scupper Geneva deal’

    Read more

  • Astronomers discover Earth-like planet that could support life

    Read more

  • Indian election: Votes for sale

    Read more

  • World honours Garcia Marquez’s magical literary legacy

    Read more

  • In pictures: Iranian woman pardons son’s killer at the gallows

    Read more

  • Algeria's ailing Bouteflika clinches fourth term amid fraud claims

    Read more

  • Top Hollande adviser resigns over conflict of interest accusation

    Read more

  • West African Ebola outbreak caused by new strain of virus

    Read more

  • In Prijedor, survivors fight to keep memory alive

    Read more

  • With a strong French presence, veterans and fresh faces, Cannes aims to please

    Read more

  • Mob launches deadly attack on UN shelter for S. Sudan civilians

    Read more

  • Stagehand of God? Maradona's legendary goal inspires a play

    Read more

Asia-pacific

Report claims NATO killed 65 civilians, including 40 children, in attack

©

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-02-28

An Afghan government investigation released Sunday found that NATO forces killed 65 civilians, including 40 children, during an assault in the country's east in February. NATO refutes the claims.

AP - Sixty-five civilians, including 40 children, were killed in a NATO assault on insurgents in eastern Afghanistan earlier this month, according to findings of an Afghan government investigation released Sunday.

Tribal leaders had alleged that dozens of civilians were killed in the operation in Kunar province, which involved rocket and air strikes, but NATO has not confirmed any civilian deaths.

The incident inflamed tensions between the Afghan government and NATO forces, and both sides opened investigations.

Civilian deaths have been increasing in recent months as insurgents appear to become more indiscriminate in their targets, attacking banks, supermarkets and sporting events. At least three separate attacks Sunday, including one targeting spectators at an illegal dog fight, killed nine Afghan civilians and a NATO service member, officials said.

But allegations of civilian deaths from NATO forces - who pledge to protect the population - often cause much more anger.

NATO has said that video of Kunar operations on Feb. 17 - the main event of more than three days of fighting - showed troops targeting and killing dozens of insurgents, not civilians.

However, the Afghan team investigating the incident found that 65 civilians had been killed, including 40 children age 13 and under, said Shahzada Masoud, one of the investigators. The group presented its findings Sunday to President Hamid Karzai.

Investigators said they compiled a list of names and ages of the victims, and planned to release them but were not prepared to do so Sunday. Karzai's office said he was concerned by the findings.

The team reached its conclusions after four days of interviews with local authorities, residents, hospital officials and security forces, said Masoud, who is Karzai's tribal affairs adviser.

They did not visit the scene of the attack but had people from the villages come to the provincial capital to be interviewed. The main area - called Helgal - is considered very dangerous and is rarely visited by government officials.

Masoud said the dead had already been buried, but that he had reports of 75 graves.

The team did not look into the number of militants killed or consider the NATO footage since it was only asked to identify civilian deaths, Masoud said.

The team shared its findings with NATO investigators in Kunar, but could not reconcile the differences. ``They (NATO officials) told us that there might be civilian casualties as a result of this operation but not the high number we have found,'' he said.

A NATO spokesman, Rear Adm. Vic Beck, said Sunday that according to preliminary findings, seven to nine civilians may have been injued. ``For any civilian casualty that occurred as a result of operations, we are deeply sorry and will work to make amends to the families involved,'' he said.

A recent U.N. report documented 2,412 conflict-related civilian deaths in the first 10 months of 2010. More than three-quarters of them were caused by militant activity, a 25 percent increase from the same period in 2009, the report said. At the same time, civilian casualties attributed to pro-government forces, including those from the NATO coalition, decreased.

A spate of insurgent attacks in recent weeks have killed scores of civilians, weakening the Taliban's assertion that they try to avoid civilian casualties in their attacks on government and NATO forces.

In Sunday's deadliest attack, twin blasts in southern Afghanistan killed eight people who had gathered for an illegal dog fight.

The explosion in Kandahar province's Arghandab district also wounded five police who had gone to break up the group, said district Police Chief Niaz Mohammad. Though dog fights are against the law in Afghanistan, they are still common and often ignored by the authorities.

It was unclear who the target of the attack was, though a witness said it was unlikely that it was the police. ``The Taliban also don't allow dog fighting,'' said Ismail Alokozai, a bystander who helped some of the wounded.

Also in the south, a NATO service member was killed by a bomb blast, the international military coalition said. The force did not provide the victim's nationality or other details.

Officials in Kandahar city said that a NATO vehicle there hit a roadside bomb and that either dead or wounded were carried away in a helicopter, though it was not clear if this was the same incident. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the Kandahar city blast.

In the western city of Herat, a roadside bomb that appeared to be targeting a passing police vehicle killed a 10-year-old boy, said provincial spokesman Shafiq Ahmad Behrood. No police officers were killed, he said.
 

Date created : 2011-02-27

  • AFGHANISTAN

    31 dead as suicide blast hits government office in Kunduz

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Officials say deadly attack on 'soft target' reflects tactical change

    Read more

Comments

COMMENT(S)