Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

DEBATE

What Next for Gaza? Lasting Ceasefire Agreed After 50 Days of War (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

What Next for Gaza? Lasting Ceasefire Agreed After 50 Days of War

Read more

FOCUS

Video: Milan is starting point for Syrian refugees’ European odyssey

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Terrorist ransoms: Should governments pay up for hostages?

Read more

ENCORE!

Kristen Stewart and Juliette Binoche star in 'Clouds of Sils Maria'

Read more

WEB NEWS

India: journalist launches "Rice Bucket Challenge"

Read more

WEB NEWS

Russian aid convoy: Mission accomplished?

Read more

WEB NEWS

Actor Orlando Jones lauches 'Bullet Bucket Challenge'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Macron Economics'

Read more

  • Mother of American journalist asks IS leader for his release

    Read more

  • UN probe accuses Syrian regime, Islamists of ‘crimes against humanity’

    Read more

  • French unemployment rises 0.8% in July to record high

    Read more

  • France’s Hollande puts young ex-banker in top economy post

    Read more

  • Video: Iraq’s Yazidis flee to spiritual capital of Lalish

    Read more

  • Video: Milan is starting point for Syrian refugees’ European odyssey

    Read more

  • Airstrikes and Assad - Obama’s military conundrum in Syria

    Read more

  • IMF’s Lagarde investigated in French corruption case

    Read more

  • American journalist held captive in Syria arrives in US

    Read more

  • In pictures: The ministers in France's new government

    Read more

  • 'Lasting' ceasefire agreed for Gaza, Abbas says

    Read more

  • Far-right ‘Russian Jihad’ fighters cross into Ukraine

    Read more

  • Rebels 'shoot down' UN helicopter in South Sudan

    Read more

  • Air France pilots threaten September strike

    Read more

  • WHO seeks stricter regulation for e-cigarettes

    Read more

Asia-pacific

New Zealand gives up search for quake survivors

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-03-03

New Zealand authorities said Thursday that they were giving up rescue efforts to find any more survivors of last week’s devastating earthquake in Christchurch, in which 161 people are known to have died.

REUTERS - New Zealand authorities have given up hope of finding any more survivors from last week's devastating earthquake and will now look to recover the remaining victims, officials said on Thursday.

The head of the civil defence said there had been no live rescues since last week and the grim reality was that no more people would be found alive.
 
"As time has gone on the chances of finding others alive has diminished. Sadly there comes a point where the response effort has to shift from rescue to the recovery of bodies, and regrettably we have reached that point," said John Hamilton.
 
Seventy people were pulled out alive from levelled buildings in the city's central business district, when the quake struck at 12.51 p.m. last Tuesday, at a time when the city centre was full of lunching office workers and shoppers. The last person found alive was the day after.
 
The confirmed death toll is 161, with police estimating that the final toll may be as high as 240, making it the second worst natural disaster after the 1931 Napier earthquake which claimed 256 people.
 
The victims are believed to have come from more than 20 countries, with many being foreign students -- including Japanese and Chinese -- at an English language school in a building where the six floors collapsed on top of each other.
 
The local mayor said the news made it a "terrible" day for Christchurch.
 
"We will continue to hold hope that there is a still a miracle out there," Bob Parker said.
 
More than 1,000 rescuers from New Zealand and seven countries, including Japan, the United States, Australia, and Taiwan, have worked day and night to find any survivors, but had found only the dead after the rescue of a woman in a finance company building last Wednesday.
 
Rescue officials said a recovery operation will see them move to clearing away damaged buildings with heavy machinery instead of the more painstaking methods used when seeking survivors.
 
The government has said there will be an inquiry into how buildings in the city hit by last September's force 7.1 quake were passed as safe for use, and whether that was a factor in the amount of casualties.
 
Preliminary costs of the quake have been put as high as NZ$15 billion ($11 billion), which the government has said is affordable although it may need to borrow more in the short term and change its spending priorities.

 

Date created : 2011-03-03

  • NEW ZEALAND

    Dozens killed as earthquake hits Christchurch

    Read more

  • NEW ZEALAND

    Christchurch mourns quake victims

    Read more

  • NEW ZEALAND

    Christchurch death toll rises after devastating quake

    Read more

COMMENT(S)