Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

ENCORE!

French director Audiard on his Cannes-winner 'Dheepan'

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Nigeria marks 500 days since kidnap of Chibok schoolgirls

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

From Sarkozy to Kim Kardashian: posed celebrity photos

Read more

THE DEBATE

The ‘You Stink’ Movement: Lebanon garbage crisis sparks new wave of protests (part 2)

Read more

THE DEBATE

The ‘You Stink’ Movement: Lebanon garbage crisis sparks new wave of protests (part 1)

Read more

FOCUS

Scandals tarnish reputation of India's pharmaceutical industry

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Ten years after Katrina, New Orleans is bustling

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Shock and horror after two journalists shot dead on-air

Read more

ENCORE!

Has New Orleans got its groove back?

Read more

Africa

Govt denounces coup 'plot'

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-03-21

Senegalese politicians have denounced a "plot" to topple President Abdoulaye Wade and said those suspected of involvement would face arrest. Activist groups have called for protests on Saturday, the anniversary of Wade's victory in 2000.

AFP - Senegal on Saturday denounced a "plot" to topple the government of President Abdoulaye Wade, who came to power exactly 11 years ago, and said arrests would follow.
              
The plotters included opposition activists, artists and students, a communique by Justice Minister Cheikh Tidiane Sy read on state television said early Saturday.
              
"The avowed objective of the plotters is to stir trouble to bring the people on to the streets, create disorder and violence to topple the regime," it said.
              
"The state prosector has decided to nip the plot in the bud ... by proceeding to arrest individuals duly identified as being involved in the plot," it said.
              
A range of political and civic groups have announced plans to demonstrate on Saturday, the 11th anniversary of Wade's electoral victory on March 19, 2000. He was sworn in on April 1 that year and is now 84.
              
He was re-elected for five years in 2007 after a change to the constitution and announced as of September 2009 that he would seek another mandate. The opposition believes he should step down in 2012.
              
"The security and defence forces are already prepared to channel demonstrations and make them safe. They have also received orders to tolerate no excesses, no violence, no deterioration of property," the ministry of the interior said in a statement.
              
"Organisers and participants in gatherings, rallies and demonstrations where there is damage and violence will be held financially responsible for the costs" incurred, the ministry warned.
              
The government said that none of the pre-announced demonstrations had been banned, despite fears of unrest in the west African country, where there is heated debate over Wade's tenure.
              
Saturday's rallies also come in a tense social and economic climate, marked notably by frequent power cuts, which have caused severe setbacks to business and industry and exasperated many Senegalese people.

 

Date created : 2011-03-19

  • SENEGAL

    Senegal 'takes back' French military bases on independence day

    Read more

  • SENEGAL

    President Wade apologises for Jesus remark

    Read more

  • SENEGAL

    Protests cloud opening of Wade's 'African Renaissance' statue

    Read more

COMMENT(S)