Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

WEB NEWS

'Ice Bucket Challenge' angers anti-abortion activists

Read more

#TECH 24

Tomorrow's Transport Today

Read more

FOCUS

Mothers and children leaving Honduras at all costs

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

US journalist Peter Theo Curtis freed in Syria

Read more

ENCORE!

An art wonderland: A burnt-out piano, a bed in a box and a giant magic mushroom

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Historian Jean Garrigues: 'For the first time, Hollande knows what he is doing'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

'Macron-economy' pun already worn out

Read more

DEBATE

What Next for Gaza? Lasting Ceasefire Agreed After 50 Days of War

Read more

DEBATE

What Next for Gaza? Lasting Ceasefire Agreed After 50 Days of War (part 2)

Read more

  • UN says 43 peacekeepers captured in Golan Heights

    Read more

  • In pictures: Billions of locusts invade Madagascan capital

    Read more

  • Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie say ‘I do’ in France

    Read more

  • Russian troops have entered Ukraine, says Kiev

    Read more

  • Assad cannot be partner in fight against terrorism, says Hollande

    Read more

  • New Ebola case in Nigeria brings death toll to 1,552

    Read more

  • Video: 'Neither Baghdad nor the US can defeat the Islamic State'

    Read more

  • Platini will not run against Blatter for FIFA presidency

    Read more

  • Air France pilots announce week-long strike in September

    Read more

  • Erdogan's inauguration paves way for constitutional change

    Read more

  • New French economy minister takes swipe at 35-hour work week

    Read more

  • Air France suspends flights to Ebola-stricken Sierra Leone

    Read more

  • Uzi shooting by 9-year-old rekindles gun debate

    Read more

  • Mother of American journalist asks IS leader for his release

    Read more

  • UN probe accuses Syrian regime, Islamists of ‘crimes against humanity’

    Read more

  • Uruguayans sign up to grow marijuana at home

    Read more

  • Missouri governor appoints black public safety director

    Read more

  • French unemployment rises 0.8% in July to record high

    Read more

  • Video: Iraq’s Yazidis flee to spiritual capital of Lalish

    Read more

Asia-pacific

Karzai names Afghanistan's first transitional security areas

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-03-23

On Tuesday President Hamid Karzai named seven areas of Afghanistan to be fully controlled by Afghan security forces. The move marks the first transitional stage from NATO-led troops to national forces, due to be completed by 2014.

REUTERS - Afghanistan's leader announced on Tuesday seven areas would be included in the first phase of a gradual transition of security from NATO troops to Afghan forces in July, including volatile cities in the south and north.

 The announcement was the first tentative step in a long process that will end with the withdrawal of all foreign combat troops from Afghanistan by 2014, a process agreed by U.S. and NATO leaders last year.
 
"Transition is the right of the Afghan people and, therefore, we should stand on this right and we want this transition to happen," Afghan President Hamid Karzai told a graduation ceremony for Afghan military officers on a base at Kabul airport.
 
"We want to end this bloody war, we have to take this country towards peace by any means," he said.
 
Including areas from the four points of the compass and embracing most of Afghanistan's diverse ethnic makeup, the first phase of the transition is more symbolism than substance.
 
"This represents the next stage of Afghanistan's journey, not the destination. And every step of the way will be determined by conditions on the ground," NATO Secretary - General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said in a statement congratulating Karzai.
 
But the handover will still be a crucial early test of the readiness of Afghan forces, which face a knot of recruitment, training and battlefield challenges despite a big push by U.S. and other Western nations in recent years.
 
"It is a good start because ultimately Afghans need to start taking responsibility but the announcement was pretty much as expected," Kabul-based political analyst Haroun Mir told Reuters.
 
"Afghan security forces should be on the front line so they will be forced to perform," he said.
 
Record casualties
 
The transition was agreed last year, when the war had reached its bloodiest phase since the Taliban were overthrown by U.S.-backed Afghan forces in 2001, and European leaders in particular were under pressure from a war-weary public.
 
Civilian and military casualties are at record levels, with the insurgency spreading out of Taliban bastions in the south and east into once peaceful areas in the north and west.
 
Military commanders have warned of a tough spring campaign ahead with a renewed offensive from Taliban-led insurgents. Despite that, Washington remains committed to its pledge to begin a phased and gradual withdrawal of U.S. troops from July.
 
Karzai said the relatively peaceful provinces of Bamiyan and Panjshir, the western city of Herat, areas around the capital Kabul, and part of eastern Laghman province were included.
 
Also on the transition list were Mazar-i-Sharif in the north and Lashkar Gah, capital of volatile Helmand province in the south and long a stronghold of the Taliban.
 
Analysts had warned putting Lashkar Gah on the list as a showpiece would risk a backlash from the Taliban, with the Islamists keen to show the fragility of Afghan control.
 
However, a huge NATO base teeming with foreign troops will remain nearby and be on call for emergencies, and some of Afghanistan's best-trained and best-equipped soldiers are expected to stay in the city.
 
"Lashkar Gah is a very small town and there is a heavy U.S. presence in the rest of the province," Mir said.
 
"I doubt very much Afghan security forces could take responsibility for Lashkar Gah right now if the Americans pulled out of the rest of the province."
 
Mazar-i-Sharif has also suffered rising levels of insurgent violence over the past two years, with attacks by a complex web of insurgent groups in surrounding provinces creating insecurity in the once-peaceful north.

 

Date created : 2011-03-22

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Karzai says apology for civilian deaths in Afghanistan 'not enough'

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Report claims NATO killed 65 civilians, including 40 children, in attack

    Read more

COMMENT(S)