Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

LIFESTYLES

New road trip

Read more

LIFESTYLES

High-tech in France

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

Global warming: A drowning planet

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Christian Kastrop, Director of Policy Studies, OECD

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Sarkozy's political comeback: Did he ever leave?

Read more

ENCORE!

Weekly Music Show: Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga's new album

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

Revolt in New Caledonia and rebuilding homes in Libya

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

UK coalition split on 'English votes for English laws'

Read more

WEB NEWS

Ukraine: Activists launch 'Blood Bucket Challenge'

Read more

Africa

US fighter jet crashes in Libya

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-03-22

A US Air Force F-15E jet crashed in Libya overnight after a technical malfunction, the US military announced on Tuesday, adding that both pilots ejected and are safe.

AFP - A US F-15 jet crashed in Libya late Monday due to a technical fault during a raid against anti-aircraft defences and both its crew ejected safely, the US Africa command said Tuesday.
              
"Two crew members ejected from their US Air Force F-15E Strike Eagle when the aircraft experienced equipment malfunction over northeast Libya, March 21, 2011 at approximately 10:30 pm CET," the command, based in the western German city of Stuttgart, said in a statement.
              
"Both crew members ejected and are safe...The cause of the incident is under investigation."
              
A command spokeswoman, Nicole Dalrymple, told AFP that the crew had sustained minor injuries and that one had been recovered while an operation to pick up the second was ongoing.
              
She said the crash, during a raid against Libyan anti-aircraft defences, was not a result of hostile action and an investigation to determine the cause of the malfunction was underway.
              
The aircraft, based out of Lakenheath, England, was flying out of Aviano air base in northeastern Italy.
              
Western forces pounded strongholds of Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi for a third night under a UN Security Council resolution authorising all necessary means to stop Kadhafi's forces harming civilians as they battle a rebellion.
              
Coalition officials have expressed satisfaction with progress in degrading  Kadhafi's air defences.
              
A senior US general said the strikes begun on Saturday night could diminish but the UN-mandated no-fly zone would be extended to the whole country.


              
 

Date created : 2011-03-22

  • LIBYA

    US to pass on military leadership role 'within days'

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    Rebels battle Gaddafi forces as coalition pursues strikes

    Read more

COMMENT(S)