Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

LIFESTYLES

Creative Christmas confections

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Viva La Evolucion! US and Cuba Move to Normalise Ties

Read more

WEB NEWS

Web users react to Cuba and the US normalizing relations

Read more

WEB NEWS

Connected toys are a must-have for Christmas

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

The 'world’s unluckiest man' turns misfortune into a golden opportunity

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Better not get sick this Christmas!

Read more

#THE 51%

Are toys really us?

Read more

REPORTERS

Argentina: The Kirchner era

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Tunisia presidential elections: Final day of campaigning ahead of Sunday's vote

Read more

Africa

Gaddafi stronghold targeted ahead of rebel advance

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-03-27

Coalition air strikes targeted forces loyal to Colonel Muammar Gaddafi in Sirte and Tripoli late Sunday as Libyan rebels pushed west toward what is likely to be a major battle in Gaddafi's hometown of Sirte after earlier capturing key eastern towns.

AFP - Libyan rebels' push westwards to Tripoli gathered momentum on Sunday and their progress towards Sirte was given a boost as Moamer Kadhafi's hometown was hit by a coalition air raid.
              
The capital Tripoli also came under attack by what state television called "the colonial aggressor".

The rebels' pursuit of Moamer Kadhafi's forces saw them wrest back control of key oil town Ras Lanuf and press on as far as Nofilia with Kadhafi's hometown of Sirte firmly in their sights 100 kilometres (60 miles) further along the road where the next major battle was expected.
              
Two loud explosions were heard around 1800 GMT in Sirte as planes flew overhead, an AFP correspondent reported, while in the capital Tripoli explosions and anti-aircraft fire were reported.
              
Shortly after the explosions in Sirte, Libyan television confirmed the city had been the target of air raids by "the colonial aggressor", as had Tripoli.
              
Witnesses in the capital said the strikes targeted the road to the international airport, 10 kilometres (six miles) outside the city, as well as the Ain Zara neighbourhood on its eastern oustkirts.
              

Battleground Libya
It appeared that anti-aircraft guns were not brought into action in Sirte, which is the next target of the rebel forces as they continue their push on the road westwards to the capital Tripoli.
              
Earlier, AFP correspondents witnessed families fleeing west from the town following coalition air raids the previous night.
              
A dozen cars were seen heading towards Tripoli, 360 kilometres (225 miles) to the west, filled with women and children fearing coalition air strikes and the advancing rebel fighters, who have been pushing Kadhafi's forces back along the main coastal road.
              
According to a Sirte resident reached by telephone, the town was hit by air strikes throughout Saturday night and Sunday morning. "The city became a fireball." Most people, terrified, fled into the desert.
              
The rebels also promised the uprising would not further hamper oil production in the areas under their control.
              
The oil fields in rebel-held territory are producing between 100,000 and 130,000 barrels a day, and the opposition plans to begin exporting oil "in less than a week", a rebel representative said.
              
"We are producing about 100,000 to 130,000 barrels a day, we can easily up that to about 300,000 a day," Ali Tarhoni, the rebel representative responsible for economy, finance and oil, told a news conference.
              
NATO finally took full command of military operations in Libya from a US-led coalition, enabling the alliance to strike at forces loyal to Moamer Kadhafi should they threaten civilians.
              
Pressed by Western powers, notably the United States and Italy, to take the helm as swiftly as possible, ambassadors from the 28-nation alliance approved the transfer after overcoming French and Turkish concerns.
              
"Our goal is to protect civilians and civilian-populated areas under threat of attack from the Kadhafi regime," said NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen.
              
"NATO will implement all aspects of the UN Resolution. Nothing more, nothing less," he said.
              
The rebels, on the verge of losing their eastern stronghold city of Benghazi before the air strikes began on March 19, on Saturday seized back Ajdabiya and Brega, 160 and 240 kilometres (100 and 150 miles) to the west.
              
Spurred on by the air war, the ragtag rebel band thrust another 100 kilometres past Brega to win back Ras Lanuf, routing Kadhafi loyalists.
              
Jubilant rebels stuck up a poster of Kadhafi after they had taken the hamlet of Bin Jawad and took potshots at it with automatic rifles as a green Libyan regime flag burned and a group of about 100 chanted: "Moamer, you're a dog".
              
"Kadhafi's forces are now scared rats," Mohammed Ali el-Atwish, a bearded 42-year-old fighter, told AFP.
              
"They are dropping their weapons and uniforms and dressing as civilians. We are no longer concerned about Kadhafi's forces at all."
              
The rebel fighters marked the takeover of Ras Lanuf with celebratory gunfire and fired a rocket-propelled grenade in a sign of victory.
              
One of them, Attia Hamad, 34, said insurgents were in full control of the town.
              
"All of it is in our hands," Hamad said of Ras Lanuf, which Kadhafi's forces had overrun on March 12. Loyalists were "retreating so quickly, they are leaving some fighters behind," he added.
              
Foreign ministers from more than 35 countries have so far confirmed they will attend a London conference on Tuesday to discuss coalition military action against Libya, Britain said.
              
Many Libyan diplomats and military leaders are defecting, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on the eighth day of the coalition operation.
              
"We have a lot of diplomats and military leaders in Libya who are flipping, changing sides, defecting," Clinton told CBS television.
              
Defence Secretary Robert Gates said intervention in Libya was not vital to US interests, but explained: "You had a potentially significantly destabilising event taking place in Libya that put at risk potentially the revolutions in both Tunisia and Egypt."
              
He added: "Egypt is central to the future of the Middle East."
              
Elsewhere, Gates reiterated that regime change was not part of the military mission in Libya.
              
"As we've seen in the past, regime change is a very complicated business, sometimes it takes a long time, sometimes it can happen very fast. But it was never part of the military mission (in Libya)," he told ABC television.
              
In Tripoli, government spokesman Mussa Ibrahim said overnight that the Western-led air strikes were killing soldiers and civilians between the strategic town of Ajdabiya and Sirte.
              
"Tonight the air strikes against our nation continue with full power," he said.
              
"We are losing many lives, military and civilians," Ibrahim added, while renewing a call for a ceasefire and an urgent meeting of the UN Security Council, which approved military action to stop the Libyan regime's attacks on civilians.

 

Date created : 2011-03-27

  • LIBYA

    Libyan rebels oust Gaddafi forces from key towns

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    Blasts rock military site in Tripoli

    Read more

  • SPECIAL REPORT

    Libyan rebels face pro-Gaddafi troops

    Read more

COMMENT(S)