Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

BUSINESS DAILY

France defends deficit reduction delay in 2015 budget

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'France is sinking!'

Read more

WEB NEWS

Global support pours in for Hong Kong protesters

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola: UN sets target of 60 days to turn things around

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

On the frontline of horror: Editing images from war zones

Read more

DEBATE

Europe's desperate seas: Migrant deaths crossing Mediterranean top 3,000 in 2014 (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Europe's desperate seas: Migrant deaths crossing Mediterranean top 3,000 in 2014

Read more

ENCORE!

'All is Well' for Lisa Simone

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

EU questions Apple's tax deals in Ireland

Read more

Europe

Berlusconi makes rare court appearance for fraud case

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-03-29

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi made a rare court appearance on Monday but called the tax fraud case against him "ridiculous". The premier faces charges relating to the sale of film rights by his Mediaset company.

AP – Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi made a rare appearance Monday at a court hearing in Milan for a tax fraud case that he dismissed as groundless and ridiculous.

Berlusconi waved to a crowd of reporters and supporters from inside a black sedan as he entered the courthouse for the closed-door hearing. Prosecutors allege fraud in the sale of film rights by his Mediaset company.
 
The Italian leader has a history of legal woes but has rarely showed up in court. He has always denied wrongdoing and denounced what he says are left-leaning magistrates intent on hurting him politically.
 
“The prosecutors have shown that they want to persecute me and they don’t stop even in the face of facts and of ridiculousness,” he said Monday as he called in to a TV show on one of Mediaset’s channels.
 
Berlusconi said that the prosecutors see him as an “ideological and political enemy” and as “the obstacle preventing the left from gaining power.”
 
“Unfortunately communism in Italy never surrendered and never changed,” Berlusconi said. “I am the most accused man in the universe and in history.”
 
Berlusconi insisted that ever since he stepped into politics in the 1990s, he had stopped running his companies to devote himself to public office exclusively.
 
“These accusations are not only groundless but also ridiculous,” he maintained.
 
The courthouse was under tight security, with about 100 police and Carabinieri in riot gear on patrol.
 
A group of about 100 members of Berlusconi’s party and other supporters gathered outside the tribunal to cheer him on.
 
“It’s been since 1994 that the magistrates have been acting against the premier with innumerable trials,” said Alessandro Vigentini, a 20-year-old law student who is a member of Berlusconi’s party’s youth wing. “The premier has never been convicted. This needs to be understood.”
 
Berlusconi has either been acquitted or seen the statute of limitation against him expire.
 
The case is one of four currently involving Berlusconi. Earlier this year, Italy’s Constitutional Court watered down a law introduced by his government that shielded him from prosecution.
 
Contrary to the past, Berlusconi plans to attend hearings, barring engagements stemming from his official duty, his lawyers have said.
 
A trial on allegations he had sex with an underage prostitute opens next month.

 

Date created : 2011-03-28

  • ITALY

    Berlusconi denies paid sex with 'Ruby' 13 times

    Read more

  • ITALY

    Berlusconi 'not worried' over forthcoming underage sex trial

    Read more

  • ITALY

    Berlusconi to attend all court hearings

    Read more

COMMENT(S)