Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Fears of a mole in the Elysée over photos of Hollande and Gayet

Read more

DEBATE

No Deal...Yet: Iran Nuclear Talks Extended (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

No Deal...Yet: Iran Nuclear Talks Extended

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Hollande's industrial policy under scrutiny during Florange visit

Read more

FOCUS

The growing frustration of Tunisia's jobless graduates

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Monica Macovei, Former Romanian justice minister

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Luxleaks: Will Europe crack down on tax evasion?

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Dacian Ciolos, EU Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development

Read more

ENCORE!

Music Show: Beyoncé, David Guetta, Eminem and Iggy Azalea

Read more

Africa

NATO knocks out nearly a third of Gaddafi's firepower

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-04-05

More than a third of Muammar Gaddafi's firepower has been destroyed since Western powers launched a bombing campaign against the embattled leader, NATO officials said Tuesday.

REUTERS - Western powers have destroyed nearly a third of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's military power since launching a military campaign against him last month, NATO officials said on Tuesday.

The area around the Libyan city of Misrata -- the only major town in western Libya where a revolt against Gaddafi that began seven weeks ago has not been crushed -- was the number one priority of NATO air strikes for now, they said.

NATO took command of operations in Libya from a coalition led by the United States, Britain and France on March 31 and is enforcing a no-fly zone ordered by the United Nations and launching air strikes on Gaddafi's forces to shield civilians.

"The assessment is that we have taken out 30 percent of the military capacity of Gaddafi," Brigadier General Mark van Uhm, a senior NATO staff officer, told a news briefing in Brussels.

Over the last day, air strikes around Misrata hit Gaddafi's tanks, air defence systems and other armoured vehicles, he said.

Near Brega in the east, where intense fighting continued for a sixth day on Tuesday, NATO aircraft struck a rocket launcher, as well as ammunition stores in other areas, he said.

NATO-led air power is holding a balance in Libya, preventing Gaddafi's forces overrunning the seven-week old revolt, but unable for now to hand the rebels outright victory.

NATO countered criticism by the insurgents that Western air power has become less effective since the alliance took control, saying the military presence in Libyan skies had been maintained.

However, Van Uhm said, Gaddafi's use of civilians as human shields and hiding his armour in populated areas was curbing NATO's ability to hit targets.

He confirmed that NATO air strikes had killed several civilians in the town of Brega in recent days. In an "unfortunate accident", NATO forces had acted in self-defence after rebels fired in the air in celebration, he said.

Date created : 2011-04-05

  • LIBYA

    Rebels retake part of key oil town Brega

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    Ambushed by Gaddafi army, rebels retreat from Brega

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    Coalition air strike kills rebels in battle for Brega

    Read more

COMMENT(S)