Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE INTERVIEW

Turkish troops to go further into Syria, says foreign minister

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Court ruling expected on Gabon's contested election results

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Clinton's Comedy Turn

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Sarkozy's Populist Pivot, Bahamas Leaks, Syria Truce, Rome Olympic Bid (Part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

US Police Shootings: Race relations and the race to the White House (Part 1)

Read more

#TECH 24

Breaking the wall between technology and people

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Rural France: Challenges and opportunities

Read more

REPORTERS

Video: In Burma, ex-political prisoners struggle to return to normal life

Read more

ENCORE!

Xavier Dolan: Wunderkind of Québecquois cinema

Read more

Africa

Rebels and loyalists trade accusations over oil cut-off

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-04-07

An offensive by pro-Gaddafi troops in eastern Libya has brought oil production in rebel-held fields to a halt. Libyan rebels said the government was responsible, while Libyan officials blamed a British air strike - charges NATO denies.

AFP - NATO on Thursday denied bombing Libya's biggest oil field and accused the Kadhafi regime of attempting to block crude from getting to Tobruk after a rebel shipment set sail for international markets.

"The accusation by Colonel Kadhafi that NATO was responsible for fires in the Sarir Oil Fields is false," NATO said in a statement from its base in Naples which is overseeing military operations in Libya.

"The only one responsible for this fire is the Kadhafi regime and we know he wants to disrupt oil getting to Tobruk," said Lieutenant General Charles Bouchard, commander of the NATO mission.

As a tanker left the port of Tobruk on Wednesday carrying oil worth up to 100 million dollars, Libyan deputy foreign minister Khaled Kaim accused British warplanes of bombing the southeast oil field and destroying a key pipeline.

"British fighter bombers raided the Al-Sarir oil field, killing three guards at the site and wounding other people working at the field," Kaim said, adding that a pipeline linking Al-Sarir to Tobruk had been damaged in the attack.

The eastern city of Tobruk is currently in the hands of the rebels.

Bouchard rejected Kaim's claims and blamed Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi for the fires, which he said were "a direct result of his attacks on his own people and infrastructure."

Attacks last week by pro-Kadhafi forces had resulted in "a number of skirmishes with anti-Kadhafi forces and at least one fire at an oil facility in the region of Sarir," according to the NATO statement.

The alliance, acting under a UN mandate to protect civilians from Kadhafi's forces, had "never conducted strike operations in this area because his forces were not threatening civilian populations from there," Bouchard said.

Libya, a key crude-exporting nation that was producing some 1.7 million barrels a day (bpd) before the uprising broke out in mid-February, has seen its output slashed since.

According to the International Energy Agency, Libya's exports averaged 1.49 million bpd before the uprising, with 85 percent of that going to Europe.

The Greek-owned, Liberian-registered tanker is carrying one of the first consignments of oil from rebel territory since coalition air strikes began on March 19 and is destined to finance the rebels.

Date created : 2011-04-06

  • LIBYA

    France defends NATO against rebel criticism

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    NATO is not protecting civilians, rebel leader says

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    NATO knocks out nearly a third of Gaddafi's firepower

    Read more

COMMENT(S)