Latest update: 19/04/2011
- Europe - European Union - France - immigration - Islam - Italy - Tunisia
Europe: divided we stand, divided we fall? (part 2)
France blocked trains at the border after Italy granted some 25,000 Tunisian refugees the right to roam across the EU. France says Italy is trying to pass the buck, while Italy says it's France and the EU which are shirking responsibilities. It's hardly the spirit of co-operation conceived some 60 years ago. So has EU policy on immigration failed?
- Ali FATEMI, Professor of finance, American Graduate School of Economics in Paris
- Frédéric VIALE, Member of ATTAC and author of “L’horreur Européenne” ("The European nightmare")
- Mathilde BOUYE, Coordinator for European issues, Terra Nova think tank
- Craig COPETAS, Senior writer, Bloomberg News