One year after an explosion on the Deepwater Horizon rig spewed 206 million gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico, the US is preparing to mark the anniversary of what has since been called the worst oil spill in history.
AP - It was the catastrophe that seemed to crush a way of life, an oil rig exploding in the darkness and plunging the Gulf Coast and its people into months of chaos.
One year after America’s worst offshore oil spill began, solemn ceremonies will mark the disaster Wednesday and underscore the delicate healing that is only now taking shape. Oil still occasionally rolls up on beaches in the form of tar balls, and fishermen face an uncertain future.
A look back on the Gulf oil spill
Although life is getting back to normal, many questions linger: Will the fishing industry recover? Will the environment bounce back completely? Will an oil-hungry public ever accept more deep-water drilling?
But the BP spill has faded from the headlines, overtaken by the tsunami and nuclear disaster in Japan, unrest in the Middle East and political clashes in Washington.
BP oil spill in Gulf of Mexico
- Former Zimbabwe vice-president launches party to challenge Mugabe
- BP settles 2010 US oil spill claims for $18.7 billion
- Oil train derailment sparks blaze, evacuations in West Virginia
- Bangladesh's forgotten oil spill
- Shell reaches $83.5 million settlement over Nigeria oil spill
- Oil spill in Bangladesh threatens wildlife
- German businesses brace for more Russia sanctions
- Burst pipe leaves areas of Los Angeles knee-deep in oil
- Spanish court acquits accused in Prestige oil spill
- Halliburton admits destroying evidence in Gulf oil spill
- The United States face new budget cuts
- Court rejects Nigerian suit against Royal Dutch Shell
- US judge approves $4 billion BP oil spill settlement
- Transocean to pay $1.4 billion in BP gulf spill settlement
- US bars BP from new oil contracts in wake of Deepwater
- BP receives record $4.5bn in US fines
- Ten years on, trial over Prestige oil spill opens in Spain
- '3 Million Job Seekers'
Date created : 2011-04-20