Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

No strategy and a beige suit

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014

Read more

ENCORE!

Alain Choquette: A Hilarious Magician in Paris

Read more

FOCUS

France welcomes Iraqi Christian refugees

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Emmanuel Macron: A new economy minister with a pro-business agenda

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

More of this year's best Observers stories

Read more

#TECH 24

Changing the world, one video game at a time

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Socialist Party summer conference kicks off in explosive atmosphere

Read more

  • US aid drops begin in besieged Iraqi town of Amerli

    Read more

  • EU leaders choose Tusk and Mogherini for top jobs, discuss Russia sanctions

    Read more

  • Opposition protesters clash with Pakistani police outside PM's house

    Read more

  • Austerity row overshadows French Socialist’s annual rally

    Read more

  • Egypt sentences Brotherhood leader Badie to life

    Read more

  • Ceasfire allows Gaza families to relax on the beach

    Read more

  • S. Africa condemns 'military coup' in Lesotho

    Read more

  • Kerry calls for 'coalition of nations' to battle IS militants

    Read more

  • Ukrainian plane with seven on board crashes in Algeria

    Read more

  • Exclusive: Fabius warns Russia of more sanctions

    Read more

  • IMF backs Lagarde amid French corruption probe

    Read more

  • Ebola drug ‘ZMapp’ heals all monkeys in study

    Read more

  • British killer escapes from French psychiatric hospital

    Read more

  • Police hunt for British boy with brain tumour taken to France

    Read more

  • Ukraine to relaunch NATO membership bid

    Read more

  • Suriname leader’s son pleads guilty to courting Hezbollah

    Read more

  • Mapping Ukraine: Canada and Russia in ‘tweet for tat’ row

    Read more

Middle east

Pro-reform protesters sentenced to death for police killings

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-04-28

A military court sentenced four Shiite protesters to death and jailed three others for life on Thursday over the killing of two policemen during a pro-democracy rally last month.

AFP - A Bahraini military court sentenced four Shiite protesters to death and three to life in prison Thursday over the killing of two policemen at a crackdown on a pro-democracy rally last month, state media said.

The national safety court of first instance sentenced to death Ali Abdullah Hasan al-Singace, Qasim Hassan Mattar Ahmed, Saeed Abdul Jalil Saeed, and Abdul Aziz Abdullah Ibrahim Hussein, the official BNA news agency reported.

Three other civilians, Issa Abdullah Kazem Ali, Sadiq Ali Mahdi, and Hussein Jaafar Abdul Karim, were sentenced to life in prison, it added.

The trial of the seven began on April 17, with BNA news agency reporting at the time that they were accused of committing voluntary homicide of public officials with “terrorist” intentions.

Witnesses addressed the tribunal, and a video allegedly showing the attackers in cars hitting police was played, the agency said.

According to authorities, four police were killed after being struck by cars during the protests in the kingdom which is ruled by the Sunni Al-Khalifa dynasty.

The verdict concerning the killing of policemen Kashif Ahmed Manzur and Mohammed Farouk Abdulsamad could be appealed, BNA said.

It said the defendants were allowed access to lawyers and contact with their families, and representatives of Bahraini and foreign media, human rights groups and family members were allowed to attend the hearing.

Shiite former MP Matar Matar told AFP that although the verdict could be appealed, it cannot reach cassation for being issued by a court martial.

Bahrain had declared a State of National Safety, a lower degree of emergency, on March 16, a day before security forces crushed a month-long Shiite-led demonstration demanding democratic reforms.

Bahraini authorities have said 24 people were killed during the unrest, most of them demonstrators.

On Wednesday, a Bahraini official said 405 detainees had been referred to military courts while 312 have been released.

“Sixty-two criminal cases and 343 misdemeanor cases have been referred to the courts of national safety,” said the head of the Information Affairs Authority, Sheikh Fawaz bin Mohammed Al-Khalifa according to statement late Wednesday.

He said 312 detainees have been released, “some for health reasons,” and others after considering the period of their detention enough.

Bahraini authorities have come under strong criticism from international rights organisations over a heavyhanded crackdown on protesters from the Shiite-majority community in the kingdom that is ruled by a Sunni dynasty.

The United States on Tuesday voiced concern over the fate of detainees, noting that some have died in custody.

At least 567 people, including 38 women, remain in detention, Matar told AFP this week, out of around 1,000 people rounded up after security forces crushed the protest.
 

Date created : 2011-04-28

  • BAHRAIN

    Bahrain seeks to dissolve opposition parties

    Read more

  • BAHRAIN

    Prominent activist arrested and beaten in latest govt crackdown

    Read more

  • BAHRAIN

    Thousands rally at protester funeral

    Read more

COMMENT(S)