Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Tunisia's Parliament votes on new Government

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

French court rules #burkini ban "clearly illegal"

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Biden in Turkey, Colombia Peace Deal, Ethiopia Olympic Protest (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Earthquake in Italy, French Burkini Ruling (part 1)

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

The hidden secrets of Les Invalides

Read more

FOCUS

Pro-Opposition stronghold Port-Gentil feverishly awaits presidential elections

Read more

ENCORE!

Alexis Michalik: treading the boards in the footsteps of 'Edmond'

Read more

REPORTERS

Getting away with murder in DR Congo

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Why does Italy refuse to see the seismic risk?'

Read more

Sports

Probe launched into football race quota scandal

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-05-03

France’s Sports Ministry and the French Football Federation have launched separate inquiries into a controversial plan to limit the number of dual-nationality players from Arab or African origin in the country’s national team.

AFP - Two separate investigations opened on Monday into reports of a controversial alleged plan to introduce quotas for dual-nationality players in the France national football team.

France's sports ministry and the French football federation (FFF) will be carrying out separate enquires with their findings expected in the next week, said Patrick Braouezec, president of the Football Foundation, who has been appointed by the FFF to oversee their investigation.

Braouezec, a member of Parliament, also played a key role in the enquiry which followed the French national team strike during last year's World Cup in South Africa.

The influential Mediapart website claimed last week that top management at the FFF, including France manager Laurent Blanc (pictured), secretly discussed and approved "unofficial discriminatory quotas" at a meeting last November to limit the number of black and Arab players coming through their national training programmes to 30 percent.

National Technical Director (DTN) Francois Blaquart, responsible for youth coaching policy in France, was suspended on Saturday. He said that the plan had been "abandoned".

Blanc will be among the officials questioned as part of the enquiry.

A number of players have come through French academies in recent years, and represented France at youth level, only to switch allegiances to the senior sides of different countries.

They include Marouane Chamakh (Morocco), Sebastien Bassong (Cameroon), Moussa Sow (Senegal), Younes Belhanda (Morocco) and Ryad Boudebouz (Algeria).

The scandal could not come at a worse time for the French federation during a month which should have been focused on the selection of the nine host cities for Euro 2016, and their elections slated for June 18.
 

Date created : 2011-05-02

  • FOOTBALL

    France coach apologises for race row

    Read more

  • FOOTBALL

    French football executive suspended in racism row

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Football chiefs accused of setting racial quotas

    Read more

COMMENT(S)