Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FOCUS

Chancellor Merkel's immigration policy faces test on her home turf

Read more

FRENCH CONNECTIONS

Understanding the burkini ban

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US Treasury lashes out at EU tax probes

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Olympic Hangover: festive mood dampened by gloomy economy

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

British professor says 'no shame' in reading romance novels

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Libération:'STOP hunting for burkinis!'

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Closing arguments presented in the ICC trial of the Malian Jihadist who destroyed shrines

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Burkini: the never-ending controversy

Read more

THE DEBATE

Biden in Turkey: NATO allies at odds over Syria Kurds, exiled cleric (part 1)

Read more

France

Bodies of Marrakesh bombing victims flown home

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-05-03

At a ceremony at Paris' Orly Airport on Tuesday, President Nicolas Sarkozy paid tribute to the 8 French nationals who had been killed last week in a bombing at a café in Morocco, warning that deadly terrorist attacks would not go “unpunished”.

AFP - French President Nicolas Sarkozy warned Tuesday that last week's deadly bombing of a cafe in Morocco would not go "unpunished", as the bodies of eight French people killed in the attack landed in Paris.

"I say before the bodies of eight French people including a little girl 10 years old... France will not let this crime go unpunished," Sarkozy said at Paris's Orly airport, where he witnessed the return of the coffins.

"Terrorists now know they will have no respite anywhere, ever. Wherever they are, wherever they hide, they will be sought out, followed in their tracks, flushed out by every means and they will have to answer for their crimes."

The latter comment referred to the killing on Sunday of Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, who was tracked down by US forces in Pakistan after a decade on the run.

"Everyone must know that democracies will not let any act of terrorism go unpunished," Sarkozy added.

The bombing in a cafe in a tourist area of the Moroccan city of Marrakesh on Thursday killed 16 people, also including Canadians, Moroccans and at least one Dutch and one British national.

There was speculation that Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) was linked to the attack but so far no one has claimed responsibility for the deaths.

Date created : 2011-05-03

  • MOROCCO

    Morocco's king visits site of deadly Marrakesh bombing

    Read more

  • MOROCCO

    Marrakesh bomb probe raises al Qaeda link

    Read more

  • MOROCCO

    Morocco investigates deadly Marrakesh blast

    Read more

COMMENT(S)