Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Amnesty International says Nigerian army abused women fleeing Boko Haram

Read more

#TECH 24

Is GDPR a good thing for EU tech companies?

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

UK foreign secretary victim of Russian prank phone call

Read more

THE DEBATE

After Iran, North Korea: Macron and Putin react as Trump scraps Singapore summit

Read more

FOCUS

Training future football champions in Vietnam

Read more

ENCORE!

Guitar Hero: Johnny Marr brings solo work to the stage in Paris

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Presidential meeting signals 'another chapter' in Franco-Rwandan relations

Read more

THE DEBATE

Apology accepted? Facebook's European charm offensive

Read more

PEOPLE & PROFIT

Trade truce: US-China tensions cool, but is a trade war still possible?

Read more

Africa

Moroccan police arrest three over deadly bombing

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-05-06

Moroccan police have arrested three people in relation to last week’s deadly Marrakesh cafe bomb blast, including a chief suspect with ties to al Qaeda, the interior ministry said Thursday.

AP Three Moroccan nationals were arrested in last week’s deadly bombing at a Marrakech cafe, including the main suspect -- a man with loyalties to al-Qaida who had attempted to travel to Iraq and Chechnya, the Interior Ministry said in a statement Thursday.

The April 28 explosion that tore through the Argana cafe, a popular tourist hangout in the center of the kingdom’s biggest tourist magnet, Marrakech, killed 16 people, most of them tourists.

The statement said the suspect it identified as the main perpetrator had targeted the Argana specifically because tourists flocked to it.

The man disguised himself as a foreign visitor to plant the explosives, devices that could be detonated remotely, authorities said. He had learned to make the devices on the Internet, the statement said. It added that investigators found some explosive materials and tools that were discarded after the explosion.

“He made many attempts to go to such hot spots as Chechnya and Iraq before deciding to make this attack on Moroccan soil,” the statement said.

It did not provide any details about the other two suspects or about where the arrests had taken place.

The Marrakech attack was the worst to hit the North African kingdom since 2003, when five simultaneous bombings in Casablanca killed 33 people.

Date created : 2011-05-05

  • MOROCCO

    Marrakesh bombing suspects 'identified'

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Bodies of Marrakesh bombing victims flown home

    Read more

COMMENT(S)