Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

France's Plan to Tackle Racism

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Marine Le Pen and Thomas Piketty in Time magazine's power list; EU takes on Google; Gunter Grass dies (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Deadly Crossing: Migrants desperate to reach Europe; Abadi in Washington (part 1)

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Xenophobic attacks in South Africa: anti-violence marches and anti immigration protest

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

French PM outlines action plan against racism, anti-Semitism

Read more

REPORTERS

Turkey’s hidden Armenians search for stolen identity

Read more

REVISITED

Families of slain Marikana miners still demanding justice

Read more

#TECH 24

Europe vs. Google: EU accuses search giant of market dominance abuse

Read more

#THE 51%

Women in America: Land of the free, home to the less-paid

Read more

Africa

Moroccan police arrest three over deadly bombing

Video by Kethevane GORJESTANI , Helen PERCIVAL

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-05-06

Moroccan police have arrested three people in relation to last week’s deadly Marrakesh cafe bomb blast, including a chief suspect with ties to al Qaeda, the interior ministry said Thursday.

AP Three Moroccan nationals were arrested in last week’s deadly bombing at a Marrakech cafe, including the main suspect -- a man with loyalties to al-Qaida who had attempted to travel to Iraq and Chechnya, the Interior Ministry said in a statement Thursday.

The April 28 explosion that tore through the Argana cafe, a popular tourist hangout in the center of the kingdom’s biggest tourist magnet, Marrakech, killed 16 people, most of them tourists.

The statement said the suspect it identified as the main perpetrator had targeted the Argana specifically because tourists flocked to it.

The man disguised himself as a foreign visitor to plant the explosives, devices that could be detonated remotely, authorities said. He had learned to make the devices on the Internet, the statement said. It added that investigators found some explosive materials and tools that were discarded after the explosion.

“He made many attempts to go to such hot spots as Chechnya and Iraq before deciding to make this attack on Moroccan soil,” the statement said.

It did not provide any details about the other two suspects or about where the arrests had taken place.

The Marrakech attack was the worst to hit the North African kingdom since 2003, when five simultaneous bombings in Casablanca killed 33 people.

Date created : 2011-05-05

  • MOROCCO

    Marrakesh bombing suspects 'identified'

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Bodies of Marrakesh bombing victims flown home

    Read more

COMMENT(S)