Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Search of Air Algerie crash site continues

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Sarkozy, Hollande and the scooter wars

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Confusion online over Air Algérie flight

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - July 25th, 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - July 25th, 2014

Read more

REPORTERS

Halal tourism on the rise

Read more

ENCORE!

Tunisia's Carthage International Festival turns 50

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

WWI Centenary: the battle for Verdun

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

When big companies want to do good

Read more

  • In pictures: Debris and devastation at Air Algérie Flight AH5017 crash scene

    Read more

  • Kerry due in Paris for new round of Gaza ceasefire talks

    Read more

  • Video: No investigation apparent at MH17 crash site

    Read more

  • Washington Post reporter and his wife arrested in Iran

    Read more

  • Paris bans new Gaza protest scheduled for Saturday

    Read more

  • Fans electrify the mood as Tour de France crosses the Pyrenees

    Read more

  • French families grieve for Algerian plane crash victims

    Read more

  • Protest against Gaza offensive turns deadly in West Bank

    Read more

  • Halal tourism on the rise

    Read more

  • LA Times wipes France off the map in air crash infographic

    Read more

  • Lithuania’s Navardauskas wins 19th stage of Tour de France

    Read more

  • French lawyer files complaint against Israel at ICC

    Read more

  • Ukraine names acting PM after Yatseniuk's shock resignation

    Read more

  • BNP to pay $80 million for defrauding Dept of Agriculture

    Read more

  • Deadly strike on UN shelter in Gaza Strip

    Read more

  • Pope meets Christian woman sentenced to death in Sudan

    Read more

Sport

Real Madrid coach slapped with ban over Barcelona conspiracy comments

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-05-06

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has been slapped with a five-match Champions League ban on Friday after suggesting UEFA conspired to help Barcelona. He has already served one match of the ban and another has been suspended for three years.

AP - Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho was banned for five Champions League matches on Friday after accusing UEFA of conspiring to help Barcelona.

UEFA’s disciplinary panel ruled that Mourinho made an “inappropriate” comment in a post-match interview. Mourinho also was sent from the dugout for comments to the match officials during the first leg of the semifinals last week.

After Madrid’s 2-0 loss, Mourinho said UEFA and referees actively tried to help Barcelona reach the Champions League final in each of the last three seasons.

He served one match of the ban when Madrid was eliminated in Tuesday’s game at Barcelona, a 1-1 draw, and another match was suspended for three years.

Mourinho therefore can’t communicate with players and coaches at Madrid’s first three group matches next season. UEFA also fined Mourinho €50,000 ($73,000).

Madrid immediately announced it would appeal Mourinho’s punishment to UEFA.
The club said the European football authority failed to give clarity in the legal process.
“Our coach does not have the full right to defend himself since the declarations which merited the opening of the case, and for which he has been sanctioned, are unknown,“ Madrid said in a statement.

In his post-match news conference, a combative Mourinho listed the referees who he said gave Barcelona favorable decisions in UEFA matches.

“Every semifinal the same thing always happens. Why? I’ll live my whole life with this question but I hope one day to get the answer,” Mourinho said.

Mourinho described it as a “scandal“ that Chelsea, his former club, was denied penalty appeals against Barcelona in 2009.

It was a “miracle” that Mourinho’s 10-man Inter Milan team eliminated Barcelona in the semifinals last year, the Portuguese coach said.

UEFA also banned Barcelona substitute goalkeeper Jose Pinto from the Champions League final for receiving a red card during a touchline brawl at halftime in Madrid.
Pinto sat out the second leg and must now miss the May 28 final against Manchester
United at Wembley Stadium and a further match next season.

Barcelona will appeal Pinto’s ban, the Catalan club said in a statement on its website.
Last October, UEFA imposed a two-match ban on Pinto for “gross unsporting conduct” when he played against FC Copenhagen. He faked the referee’s whistle to deceive a forward into thinking he was offside.

UEFA also ruled Friday that Madrid defender Pepe, who missed the return after his red-card challenge on Barcelona defender Dani Alves, should serve no further sanction.
It fined Madrid €20,000 ($29,000) because the club’s fans threw missiles and invaded the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium field.

The UEFA Appeal Body is already scheduled to meet on May 16 after Madrid challenged UEFA’s rejection of the club’s protests regarding Barcelona players’ behavior in the first leg.

Madrid accused Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets of directing a racist slur at Madrid defender Marcelo, who is black.
Madrid also asked UEFA to sanction Busquets, Alves and Pedro Rodriguez for feigning injuries. It also wants UEFA to look again at Pepe’s red card.

UEFA rules also allow Mourinho to ultimately pursue an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport because his ban is for at least three matches.

Date created : 2011-05-06

  • FOOTBALL

    Barca make final after draw with Real Madrid

    Read more

  • CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

    Barca wins 2-0 over Real Madrid in semi-finals

    Read more

COMMENT(S)