Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

On the frontline of horror: editing images from warzones

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola: UN sets target of 60 days to turn things around

Read more

DEBATE

Europe's Desperate Seas: Migrant Deaths Crossing Mediterranean Top 3,000 in 2014

Read more

ENCORE!

'All is Well' for Lisa Simone

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

EU questions Apple's tax deals in Ireland

Read more

FOCUS

The Iraqi TV show where victims confront terrorists

Read more

REPORTERS

Video: Syrian student risks her life to film IS group stronghold

Read more

LIFESTYLES

Forgotten and fictional sports

Read more

DEBATE

Modi in America: India's Prime minister on triumphant US tour

Read more

Asia-pacific

Afghan forces crush Taliban raid in Kandahar

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-05-09

Afghan security forces have ended a nearly 36-hour-long siege on the city of Kandahar, after eliminating a Taliban squad that had carried out a string of attacks in the southern city.

AFP - Afghan security forces overnight killed the final fighter of a Taliban squad that launched a string of attacks in the city of Kandahar, ending a near 36-hour siege, officials said Monday.
              
Life in Kandahar, the biggest city in the south and the Taliban's birthplace, was normal on Monday with people and traffic back on the streets after a major lockdown following the attacks, an AFP reporter said.
              
The standoff began at around 1:00 pm (0830 GMT) Saturday when a squad of Taliban armed with suicide vests, guns and rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs) attacked the governor's office from nearby buildings.
              
Officials said at least 10 blasts, including seven suicide attacks, rocked the city as assaults spread to other sites including police stations and the office of the National Directorate of Security (NDS).
              
Although the violence subsequently died down, several Taliban remained holed up in a traffic police building near the NDS on Sunday.
              
Two of them were shot and killed earlier in the day and the third was killed late Sunday, provincial spokesman Zalmay Ayobi said.
              
"Afghan forces are in control of the traffic police building that was occupied by the enemy," Ayobi said.
              
"There were three of them. Two were shot and killed earlier yesterday and one who had a suicide vest on him resisted until late yesterday and was finally shot dead before he could detonate explosives strapped to his body.
              
"They were armed with hand grenades, RPGs and machine guns."
              
Kandahar is seen as key to US-led efforts to end the near decade-long Taliban insurgency and hand Afghan forces responsibility for national security across the troubled country by 2014.
              
International forces say that the city and its surrounding area, traditionally hotbeds of unrest, are safer following months of intense fighting last year to clear Taliban strongholds.
              
But government officials and institutions are still frequently targeted by militants in the city.
              
Last month, nearly 500 Taliban prisoners escaped from Kandahar's prison through a huge tunnel.

 

Date created : 2011-05-09

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Taliban and Afghan forces continue to clash in Kandahar

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Taliban strikes Kandahar with deadly wave of attacks

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Senior Taliban, hundreds freed in Afghan jailbreak

    Read more

COMMENT(S)