Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

'New York Post' slammed for publishing ISIS execution images

Read more

DEBATE

Back to Square One?

Read more

DEBATE

Israel-Gaza: Back to Square One?

Read more

DEBATE

Israel-Gaza conflict: 72-hour ceasefire deal sets stage for Cairo talks

Read more

WEB NEWS

Web users divided over Darren Wilson

Read more

FOCUS

Spain's El Hierro to become world's first self-powered island

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

A bellwether for what not to do

Read more

ENCORE!

Luc Besson back in action with Scarlett Johansson in 'Lucy'

Read more

FOCUS

Israel's minorities and military service

Read more

  • US forces tried to rescue slain reporter from IS captors

    Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

  • US attorney general visits Missouri town after fatal shooting

    Read more

  • French village rallies behind besieged elderly British couple

    Read more

  • Brutal IS beheading video sparks social media pushback

    Read more

  • Netanyahu compares Hamas to IS, Gaza offensive to continue

    Read more

  • France’s ex-PM Juppé sets up presidential clash with Sarkozy

    Read more

  • France’s Hollande says global security ‘worst since 2001’

    Read more

  • France urges Iran, others in region, to join fight against IS

    Read more

  • A new view on Normandy landings, 70 years on

    Read more

  • Dozens killed as landslides strike Japan’s Hiroshima

    Read more

  • Suspected Ebola cases in Austria, new drug raises hopes

    Read more

  • WWII anniversary highlights best - and worst - of Paris police

    Read more

  • Headscarf at the beach sparks French MEP’s fury

    Read more

  • Video: Life in under-siege Donetsk

    Read more

Africa

UN court finds former army chiefs guilty of genocide

Video by FRANCE 24

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-05-17

The International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda on Tuesday found two former army chiefs guilty of genocide for a 1994 ethnic cleansing campaign. Former army chief Augustin Bizimungu (pictured) was also jailed for crimes against humanity.

AFP - The UN court for Rwanda handed the general who was army chief for most of the 1994 genocide a 30-year jail term for his role in the mass killing, including calling for the murder of ethnic Tutsis.
              
It also jailed two senior officers for ordering their men to assassinate the prime minister at the start of the weeks-long rampage, when they also killed 10 Belgian UN troops protecting her.
              
The International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) convicted the head of the paramilitary police at the time, Augustin Ndindiliyimana, of genocide crimes but ordered his release as he had already spent 11 years in jail.
              
Ex-army chief Augustin Bizimungu and Ndindiliyimana are among the most senior figures to be tried by the Tanzania-based tribunal for the genocide in which 800,000 people, mostly minority Tutsis, were killed.
              
The court found that Bizimungu had complete control over the men he commanded, who were involved in the massacres that started in the night of April 6, 1994.
              
It also found Bizimungu guilty of making a speech on April 7, 1994, several days before he was made army chief, in the northern district of Mukingo, calling for the killing of Tutsis. He was arrested in Angola in 2002.
              
The court did not find Ndindiliyimana guilty of committing any crimes himself and said he only "limited control" over his men and was opposed to the killing. Ndindiliyimana was arrested in January 2000 in Belgium.
              
The tribunal sentenced two other senior officers to 20 years in jail for war crimes and crimes against humanity for ordering the murder of prime minister Agathe Uwilingiyimana.
              
The judges found the officers instructed an armoured unit to kill Uwilingiyimana and made no attempt to punish the soldiers who killed the Belgian UN Blue Helmets protecting her.
              
The killing of the Belgians triggered the withdrawal of the UN force stationed in Rwanda.
              
The officers are Major Francois-Xavier Nzuwonemeye, the commander of the reconnaissance battalion, and captain Innocent Sagahutu, a squadron commander in the same unit.
              
Nzuwonemeye was arrested in France in 2000 and Sagahutu was detained in Denmark two years later.
              
The four cases had been effectively adjourned since June 2009 when prosecutors requested life sentences for all the defendants while their defence lawyers asked for their acquittal.
              
The long-running case is known as the Military II trial.
              
In the Military I trial, Colonel Theoneste Bagosora, presented by the prosecutor as the brains behind the genocide, was sentenced to life in prison in December 2008, along with two other senior military figures.
              
Bagosora appealed and the hearing ran from March 30 to April 1, but the appeal verdict has yet to be handed down.
              
The ICTR, based in the northern Tanzanian town of Arusha, was established in late 1994 to try the perpetrators of Rwanda's genocide which claimed some 800,000 lives in a span of 100 days.
              
It is tasked only with trying those who bear the greatest responsibility for the genocide. Less senior officials and ordinary citizens accused of taking part have been tried in Rwanda.
              
Trials in Rwanda have been held either in the normal court system or at tribunals called "gacaca" that functioned without legal professionals and that were set up as a solution to what quickly became a crippling backlog of genocide cases in the national court system.

 

Date created : 2011-05-17

  • THE HAGUE

    Rwandan rebel leader faces war crimes charges

    Read more

  • RWANDA

    Exiled Hutu rebel leader reportedly charged over Rwandan genocide

    Read more

COMMENT(S)