Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

France: 2014 in review

Read more

#THE 51%

South Africa: Taking a stand against child marriage

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book (part 2)

Read more

REPORTERS

France 24’s best documentaries of 2014

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'We have to build a new Tunisia', says the president of the Tunisian Parliament

Read more

FACE-OFF

France on alert after attacks: a case of collective hysteria?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'Beijing needs to revaluate its policy in the Tibetan areas', says FM of the Tibetan government-in-exile

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Uruguay: freed Guantanamo detainees try to adjust to normal life

Read more

Sports

Chabal to play in Top 14 semis after suspension reduced

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-05-25

French rugby star Sébastien Chabal will be allowed to play for the Racing-Metro team in Saturday's Top 14 semi-final against Montpellier, after his suspension for making critical comments of the competition’s referees was commuted.

AFP - France rugby icon Sebastien Chabal has been cleared to play for Racing-Metro in Saturday's Top 14 semi-final against Montpellier after having a suspension reduced on appeal, club president Jacky Lorenzetti told AFP on Tuesday.

"The Federation's appeal commission has decided to amend Sebastian Chabal's punishment," said Lorenzetti, who did not specify how much the suspension had been reduced by.

"It has been revised to the extent that he can play in the semi-final."

Chabal, capped 62 times and France's most recognisable and marketable player for the past few years, said that he had felt he had been given a fair appeal hearing.

"Today, I feel as if I have got back my job," said Chabal, who has also been ordered to promote rugby at grassroots level, refereeing youth matches, taking part in a seminar with senior referees and also be present at youth tournmaments all over France.

"I finally had the feeling today at the appeal hearing that they were listening to what I had to say.

"The debate, presided over by a former referee, was a dignified one. Each party had their say."

It is a rare piece of good news for 33-year-old Chabal, who was initially slapped with a 60-day ban - 30 of them suspended - for comments he made criticising Top 14 referees, days before his biography was published, having been found guilty of 'harming rugby's interests'.

Chabal, who has also been left out of France's World Cup squad, had told the Journal Du Dimanche in an interview to publicise his book that "Top 14 referees are hopeless".

The 62-times capped backrow forward claimed that they favoured Castres, whose former president is the Rugby National League (LNR) supremo Pierre-Yves Revol, and Biarritz, which is run by Revol's predecessor at the LNR, Serge Blanco.

"I think that the appeal judge has put the seriousness of the error into its proper context," said Lorenzetti.

"He has taken into account both Sebastien's offence and also the overall positive impact he has had on French rugby.

"I think it is justified to allow him to display his talent in the play-offs."
 

Date created : 2011-05-25

  • RUGBY

    Racing-Metro slaps ban on Chabal over referee claims

    Read more

  • RUGBY - SIX NATIONS

    Chabal to start against England

    Read more

COMMENT(S)