Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

'Macron-economy' pun already worn out

Read more

DEBATE

What Next for Gaza? Lasting Ceasefire Agreed After 50 Days of War

Read more

DEBATE

What Next for Gaza? Lasting Ceasefire Agreed After 50 Days of War (part 2)

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

New French economy minister signals changes to 35-hour week

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Valls ♥ Business

Read more

FOCUS

Video: Milan is starting point for Syrian refugees’ European odyssey

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Terrorist ransoms: Should governments pay up for hostages?

Read more

ENCORE!

Kristen Stewart and Juliette Binoche star in 'Clouds of Sils Maria'

Read more

WEB NEWS

India: journalist launches "Rice Bucket Challenge"

Read more

  • Assad cannot be partner in fight against terrorism, says Hollande

    Read more

  • Evidence of Russian support for Ukrainian rebel counter-attack grows

    Read more

  • Platini will not run against Blatter for FIFA presidency

    Read more

  • Air France pilots announce week-long strike in September

    Read more

  • Erdogan's inauguration paves way for constitutional change

    Read more

  • New French economy minister takes swipe at 35-hour work week

    Read more

  • Air France suspends flights to Ebola-stricken Sierra Leone

    Read more

  • Uzi shooting by 9-year-old rekindles gun debate

    Read more

  • Mother of American journalist asks IS leader for his release

    Read more

  • UN probe accuses Syrian regime, Islamists of ‘crimes against humanity’

    Read more

  • Uruguayans sign up to grow marijuana at home

    Read more

  • Missouri governor appoints black public safety director

    Read more

  • French unemployment rises 0.8% in July to record high

    Read more

  • Video: Iraq’s Yazidis flee to spiritual capital of Lalish

    Read more

  • Video: Milan is starting point for Syrian refugees’ European odyssey

    Read more

  • Airstrikes and Assad - Obama’s military conundrum in Syria

    Read more

  • IMF’s Lagarde investigated in French corruption case

    Read more

Sport

Bahrain drops plans to stage Grand Prix

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-06-10

The organisers of the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix have dropped plans to reschedule this year's event, which was postponed in February due to the unrest sweeping the country.

AFP - The organizers of the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix said Thursday they had abandoned plans to hold a 2011 race after controversy on rescheduling the event postponed by turmoil in the Gulf nation.

"Whilst Bahrain would have been delighted to see the Grand Prix progress on October 30th in-line with the World Motor Sport Council's decision, it has been made clear that this fixture cannot progress and we fully respect that decision," Bahrain International Circuit chairman Zayed R Alzayani said in a statement.

"Bahrain has absolutely no desire to see a race which would further extend the calendar season detract from the enjoyment of F1 for either drivers, teams or supporters," he said.

Earlier this month Bahrain lifted a state of emergency it imposed in mid-March when it crushed month-long protests with the help of military intervention by its Gulf neighbors in a crackdown which left 30 dead.

But debate over the suitability of giving Bahrain a revised date on the Formula One calendar had heated up this week, with teams citing not the political turmoil but the logistical difficulties of changing the schedule so late in the season.

Bahrain had been originally scheduled to host the season-opening race on March 13, but on February 21 it was postponed.

On June 3 it was reinstated with a provisional date of October 30.

That plan, however, called for the Grand Prix scheduled in India on October 30, at a new $350 million 5.14-kilometre (3.2-mile) circuit on the outskirts of New Delhi, to be pushed back to December.

This week objections from various parties involved in the sport had been mounting.

The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) wrote to the International Motoring Federation (FIA) and to F1's commercial ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone stating that it did not want the calendar changed at such late notice.

The chief executive of the Williams team, Adam Parr, said: "It's not about whether the (Bahrain) race goes ahead, it's about whether we change the calendar at this stage of the season -- and that's what we've written.

"The issue that we're concerned about is that fans, sponsors, teams, have made logistic arrangements to be in India for a particular weekend, 30 October, and we've been presented with a calendar where it's on 11 December.

"How do you say to people who have booked a two-week holiday in India to take in the Grand Prix, 'sorry you'll be in India, but we won't'?"

In a reply to FOTA's letter, FIA president Jean Todt of France said he had asked Ecclestone, the series' commercial rights holder to "re-examine his calendar proposal and, if necessary, to resubmit a revised proposal to the World Council."

While the FIA had been expected to make a final announcement confirming cancellation of the Bahrain Grand Prix this weekend during the Canadian Grand Prix, Alzayani's announcement effectively settled the issue.

"We want our role in Formula One to continue to be as positive and constructive as it has always been, therefore, in the best interest of the sport, we will not pursue the rescheduling of a race this season," he said in the statement.

"We look forward to welcoming teams, their drivers and supporters back to Bahrain next year," the statement added.
 

Date created : 2011-06-10

  • BAHRAIN

    As protests ebb, Bahrain seeks to win back Grand Prix

    Read more

  • BAHRAIN

    Bahrain's king orders state of emergency to be lifted June 1

    Read more

COMMENT(S)