Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

No strategy and a beige suit

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014

Read more

ENCORE!

Alain Choquette: A Hilarious Magician in Paris

Read more

FOCUS

France welcomes Iraqi Christian refugees

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Emmanuel Macron: A new economy minister with a pro-business agenda

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

More of this year's best Observers stories

Read more

#TECH 24

Changing the world, one video game at a time

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Socialist Party summer conference kicks off in explosive atmosphere

Read more

  • Exclusive: Fabius warns of further sanctions against Russia

    Read more

  • Experimental Ebola drug ‘ZMapp’ heals all monkeys in study

    Read more

  • IMF stands behind Lagarde amid French corruption probe

    Read more

  • Ukraine to relaunch NATO membership bid

    Read more

  • Suriname leader’s son pleads guilty to courting Hezbollah

    Read more

  • British killer escapes from French psychiatric hospital

    Read more

  • Chelsea’s Torres set for AC Milan switch

    Read more

  • Police hunt for British boy with brain tumour taken to France

    Read more

  • France shines in IMF list of world’s promising economists

    Read more

  • Mapping Ukraine: Canada and Russia in ‘tweet for tat’ row

    Read more

  • First case of Ebola confirmed in Senegal

    Read more

  • Obama has 'no strategy yet' on potential Syria strikes

    Read more

  • Netflix to woo French with ‘House of Cards’ set in Marseille

    Read more

  • French businesses ‘hoping for a new Thatcher’

    Read more

  • Syrian refugees surpass 3 million, UN says

    Read more

  • West backs Ukrainian claims of Russian incursion

    Read more

  • Libyan PM resigns as Islamists set up rival administration

    Read more

  • UN says 43 peacekeepers captured in Golan Heights

    Read more

  • The deleted tweets of Manuel Valls

    Read more

  • Peru seizes record 6.5 tonnes of Europe-bound cocaine

    Read more

Middle east

Bahrainis hold first rally since crackdown

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-06-11

In the first such gathering in months after Bahrain’s ruling monarchy crushed a pro-democracy protest movement in March, thousands of demonstrators attended a political rally organised by the main Shiite opposition party Saturday.

AP - More than 10,000 demonstrators joined Bahrain’s first public rally in months Saturday as the leader of the Gulf nation’s main Shiite political party urged backers to press ahead with peaceful protests for greater political rights after fierce crackdowns by security forces.

The event carried twin messages in a nation wracked by unrest since February when protesters took to the streets, inspired by successful uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia.
 
The Sunni monarchy controlling Bahrain allowed the rally in a bid to ease tensions and open dialogue with Shiite-led groups. For opposition forces, the gathering was a chance to voice their demands and show resolve after facing relentless pressure from the Western-backed government, including martial law-style rules removed earlier this month.
 
“With our blood and soul, we sacrifice for Bahrain,” the crowds chanted. They later cried “we are the winners” as security forces stayed back in a mostly Shiite area northwest of the capital, Manama. Police helicopters passed overhead. No clashes were reported.
 
The strategic island kingdom - home to the U.S. Navy’s 5th Fleet - has been in lockdown mode for months as Sunni rulers launched massive arrest sweeps and military patrols to quell the protests. The crackdown included bringing in a 1,500-story Saudi-led military force to back up Bahrain’s embattled leadership, which claims that Shiite power Iran seeks to make gains by the unrest.
 
At least 31 people have died in the unrest since February. At the rally Saturday, demonstrators held a minute of silence for those killed.
 
Bahrain’s Shiites account for about 70 percent of the population but allege they are victims of systematic discrimination by the ruling Sunni dynasty, including being barred from top political and military posts.
 
“We salute every mother who lived through the fear of having the door of her home kicked in by security forces or her children taken away. We salute every father who participated in the peaceful rallies,” said Sheik Ali Salman, head of the Shiite political party Wefaq, whose 18 parliament members resigned in protest of the security crackdown. “We have lived through black months.”
 
Bahrain’s rulers removed the martial law-style rules on June 1 and urged talks with Shiite groups. But Bahrain’s most senior Shiite cleric, Sheik Isa Qassim, told worshippers Friday that there is no chance for dialogue while security forces maintain clampdowns such as road blocks, arrests and trials of alleged protesters.
 
The cleric said the pressures were “building hatred among the people.”
 
At the rally, Salman repeated demands made in the early weeks of the uprising, including replacing the monarchy-appointed government with elected leaders.
 
“Our demands are legitimate and the world stands by our rights,” he told the crowd.
 
Salman made a point of saying Bahrain’s Shiites have no outreach to Iran - directly challenging the views of Bahrain’s leaders and their Gulf Arab allies. But he called on followers to continue nonviolent protests, which could bring further pressures from authorities.
 
“The national dialogue should be a real political solution, not a cosmetic dialogue,” he said.
 
The U.S. has condemned the violence in Bahrain, but has stopped short of any tangible punishments against the rulers in one of Washington’s military hubs in the Gulf.
 
President Barack Obama met earlier this week with Bahrain’s visiting crown prince, Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa. A White House statement said Obama urged Bahrain to respect the rights to free speech and peaceful assembly, but also reaffirmed America’s strong commitment to the kingdom.
 
A State Department government report said Washington approved $200 million in military sales from American companies to Bahrain in 2010 - months before the Arab revolts that began in Tunisia and Egypt.
 
The yearly report showed a $112 million rise in licensed defense sales to Bahrain between the 2009 and 2010 budget years. The U.S. had green-lighted $88 million in military exports to Bahrain in 2009.
 
Much involved aircraft and military electronics, but the U.S. also licensed $760,000 in exports of rifles, shotguns and assault weapons in 2010. The possibility that American-built weapons might have been used against protesters has raised questions in Congress and led the department to review its defense trade relationships with several Middle East nations.

 

Date created : 2011-06-11

  • BAHRAIN

    Bahrain medics ‘tortured for confessions’

    Read more

  • BAHRAIN

    Opposition dismayed as Grand Prix is back on track

    Read more

  • BAHRAIN

    Bahrain's king orders state of emergency to be lifted June 1

    Read more

COMMENT(S)