Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

No strategy and a beige suit

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014

Read more

ENCORE!

Alain Choquette: A Hilarious Magician in Paris

Read more

FOCUS

France welcomes Iraqi Christian refugees

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Emmanuel Macron: A new economy minister with a pro-business agenda

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

More of this year's best Observers stories

Read more

#TECH 24

Changing the world, one video game at a time

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Socialist Party summer conference kicks off in explosive atmosphere

Read more

  • Exclusive: Fabius warns of further sanctions against Russia

    Read more

  • Experimental Ebola drug ‘ZMapp’ heals all monkeys in study

    Read more

  • IMF stands behind Lagarde amid French corruption probe

    Read more

  • Ukraine to relaunch NATO membership bid

    Read more

  • Suriname leader’s son pleads guilty to courting Hezbollah

    Read more

  • British killer escapes from French psychiatric hospital

    Read more

  • Chelsea’s Torres set for AC Milan switch

    Read more

  • Police hunt for British boy with brain tumour taken to France

    Read more

  • France shines in IMF list of world’s promising economists

    Read more

  • Mapping Ukraine: Canada and Russia in ‘tweet for tat’ row

    Read more

  • First case of Ebola confirmed in Senegal

    Read more

  • Obama has 'no strategy yet' on potential Syria strikes

    Read more

  • Netflix to woo French with ‘House of Cards’ set in Marseille

    Read more

  • French businesses ‘hoping for a new Thatcher’

    Read more

  • Syrian refugees surpass 3 million, UN says

    Read more

  • West backs Ukrainian claims of Russian incursion

    Read more

  • Libyan PM resigns as Islamists set up rival administration

    Read more

  • UN says 43 peacekeepers captured in Golan Heights

    Read more

  • The deleted tweets of Manuel Valls

    Read more

  • Peru seizes record 6.5 tonnes of Europe-bound cocaine

    Read more

Africa

NATO admits killing civilians in Tripoli air strike

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-06-20

NATO acknowledged killing nine civilians in an air strike on the Gaddafi stronghold of Arada, Tripoli, overnight Saturday, following an investigation into claims made by the regime, which claimed that the deaths were “deliberate”.

AFP - NATO on Sunday acknowledged it was responsible for civilian deaths in Tripoli after Libyan officials showed reporters five bodies, including two toddlers, they said were among nine people killed in a "barbaric" air strike.
             
An alliance statement in Brussels said "NATO acknowledges civilian casualties in Tripoli strike" during action targeting a missile site.
             
"It appears that one weapon did not strike the intended target and that there may have been a weapons system failure which may have caused a number of civilian casualties," the statement added.
             
Libyan government spokesman Mussa Ibrahim earlier accused the Western alliance of "deliberately targeting civilians," insisting there were no military targets anywhere near the residential neighbourhood of Tripoli that was hit overnight.
             
Alliance spokesman Wing Commander Mike Bracken had earlier said NATO was looking into the matter, adding: "NATO deeply regrets any civilian loss of life during this operation and would be very sorry if the review of this incident concluded it to be a NATO weapon."
             
The admission that the civilian deaths were caused by NATO is an embarrassment for the alliance which has led the bombing campaign under a UN mandate to protect civilians.
             
However, officials from the rebel-held east of the country blamed Kadhafi for the deaths, alleging that the veteran strongman was deliberately using schools and mosques to stash arms.
             
"We are sorry for the loss of civilian life," said rebel spokesman Abdel Hafiz Ghoga, adding that "we hold the Kadhafi regime responsible for having placed military armaments and rocket launchers near civilian areas."
             
Journalists were taken to the Al-Arada district of Tripoli to see rescue teams and bystanders desperately searching for survivors among the wreckage of a two-storey block of flats after the early morning air strike.
             
An AFP correspondent saw two bodies pulled from the rubble.
             
Tripoli insisted the scene was not staged after officials showed journalists a little girl in hospital two weeks ago they said was wounded in a NATO air strike. One of the medical staff said she had been in a traffic accident.
             
The alliance has acknowledged mis-hits in the past, mostly involving rebel fighters wrongly identified as loyalist troops.
             
On Saturday, NATO acknowledged that aircraft under its command had accidentally hit a rebel column near the oil refinery town of Brega on the frontline between the rebel-held east and the mainly government-held west on Thursday.
             
Calls are increasing for a negotiated solution to the five-month-old conflict, which has recently seen a bloody stalemate between the two sides.
             
On Saturday, organisations including the Arab League, the European Union and the United Nations highlighted the importance of "accelerating the launch of a political process" to end the conflict.
             
EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton attended the meeting along with outgoing Arab League chief Amr Mussa and African Union head Jean Ping, while UN chief Ban Ki-moon joined by live video link.
             
Ban said the roots of a negotiating process were showing but that the international community needed to give a "consistent message" on a political solution with Kadhafi.
             
His comments came after both Libyan Prime Minister Baghdadi al-Mahmudi and Russian envoy Mikhail Margelov insisted that contacts were under way between the two sides -- despite furious rebel denials.
             
Rebel spokesman Ghoga said a negotiated solution had not been ruled out, but that Kadhafi and his family could not be a part of it.
             
Observers, including the International Crisis Group, have called on both parties to reach a deal, amid fears over a devastating and protracted conflict, as well as concerns about the Transitional National Council's capacity to govern.
             
The rebels said on Sunday they have not yet received any of the roughly one billion dollars promised by international donors earlier this month, and urged benefactors to make good on their promise to aid the TNC.
             
"(The) funds should have been deposited from last week and none have been deposited to date," Ghoga said.
             
The fighting continued on Sunday, with claims of nine people killed and 51 wounded as rebel and pro-Kadhafi forces tried to break a month-long military stalemate around the besieged city of Misrata.
             
Rebels said the dead, including fighters and civilians, were killed as the rebel-held city in western Libya came under heavy artillery fire.
             
Several of the wounded were said to be in critical condition.
             
There were also reports of heavy fighting in the town of Nalut, near the Tunisian border, but the number of casualties was not known.

Date created : 2011-06-19

  • LIBYA

    Libyan rebels run out of money

    Read more

  • USA - LIBYA

    Barack Obama 'overruled' top legal advice on Libya

    Read more

  • Libya

    Gaddafi predicts NATO's defeat in public address

    Read more

COMMENT(S)