Ousted Tunisian leader Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali did not flee the country in January but was tricked into leaving by his own security team, his lawyers said on Monday during the deposed president’s trial on theft, drugs and weapons offences.
REUTERS - Tunisia's ousted president Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali said on Monday he was tricked into leaving the country six months ago, setting the stage for a revolution which inspired the "Arab Spring" rippling across the region.
Ben Ali Trial
- Seven years on, Tunisia’s youth still talking about a revolution
- Shiite Muslims banned from congregating in Kaduna state
- 'Don't go!' ICC officials appeal to African defectors
- Torture and police abuse still a reality, five years after Tunisia's revolution
- 'Iran turns US sailors into propaganda'
- Nigeria: Boko Haram ramps up attacks one month before elections
- Video: Old regime figures look to make comeback in Tunisia elections
- Despite new constitution, 'Tunisia is not out of the woods yet'
- ‘Surge of nostalgia’ for Ben Ali in Tunisia
- Can Tunisia buck the trend?
Date created : 2011-06-20