Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

IN THE PAPERS

'Collective behaviour problem' because of snow in Alps

Read more

WEB NEWS

Providing Internet to rural areas

Read more

WEB NEWS

290 Syrian cultural sites damaged by civil war

Read more

WEB NEWS

The best viral Christmas ads of 2012

Read more

FASHION

Fashion, what's happened in 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

France: 2014 in review

Read more

#THE 51%

South Africa: Taking a stand against child marriage

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book (part 2)

Read more

Asia-pacific

Young girl used to carry out Taliban bomb attack, govt says

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-06-26

An eight-year-old girl was given a bag of explosives by Taliban militants and told to take them to a police station in southern Afghanistan but was killed when the bag exploded, the government said Sunday. There were no reports of police casualties.

REUTERS - An eight-year-old Afghan girl was killed when a bag of explosives given to her by Taliban insurgents exploded as she approached a police outpost in southern Afghanistan, the government said on Sunday.

“The insurgents handed over a bag with a homemade bomb to an eight-year-old girl and asked her to take it to police forces,” the Ministry of Interior said in a statement.
“As the girl was getting close to the police, it exploded and killed the girl.”

There have been occasional cases of insurgents using female bombers—or more commonly of fighters dressing as women in head-to-toe burqa coverings—but the use of children had been almost unheard of until recently.

In May, Afghan police paraded four boys, all under 13, they said had been recruited as bombers from their homes in neighbouring Pakistan. One of the boys said they had been told they would live through the suicide attacks.

The Taliban later denied they were recruiting children to carry out suicide attacks.

The latest incident took place in the Char Chino district of Uruzgan province in southern Afghanistan. There were no police casualties.
The death comes as four NATO troops were killed over the past two days, including two Spanish soldiers who died on Sunday after a homemade bomb exploded in western Afghanistan.

A suicide car bomber killed at least 20 people, and possibly as many as 35, in an attack at a hospital in a remote district of the eastern Logar province on Saturday that damaged the hospital’s maternity ward.

Military and civilian casualties hit record levels in 2010, the most violent year of the war since U.S.-backed Afghan forces toppled the Taliban in late 2001.

This year is following a similar trend, with violence growing across Afghanistan since the Taliban announced a spring offensive at the beginning of May.

It is also a worrying sign as Afghans prepare to take over security responsibility from NATO-led troops in seven areas across the country next month.

That will coincide with the start in July of a gradual drawdown of U.S. troops. U.S. and NATO troops plan to hand over security responsibility for all of Afghanistan by the end of 2014, although critics warn the handover date is premature.

 

Date created : 2011-06-26

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Suicide bomber targets hospital south of Kabul

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Not all Afghans have signed up for the 'talk and fight' plan

    Read more

  • TERRORISM

    Gates confirms US is in 'preliminary' talks with Taliban

    Read more

COMMENT(S)