Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FASHION

Who's next in Paris, an event with international ready-to-wear and fashion accessories collections

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Is there such thing as 'telegenic' victims of war?

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

2014-07-22 07:21 IN THE FRENCH PRESS

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Michel Sidibé, UNAIDS Executive Director

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Dalia Grybauskaite, President of the Republic of Lithuania

Read more

WEB NEWS

Online scammers exploit MH17 crash

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Too many graphic images from Gaza ?

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Gaza: online reactions

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Rise of the Robots

Read more

  • Hollande says French warship delivery will ‘depend on Russia’s attitude’

    Read more

  • Israeli soldier missing in Gaza, say media reports

    Read more

  • Ukraine rebels release bodies, black boxes from flight MH17

    Read more

  • A call for harmony in riot-hit ‘Little Jerusalem’ Paris suburb

    Read more

  • Widodo poised to become Indonesian president

    Read more

  • An ‘explosion of violence’: French press reacts to Gaza protests

    Read more

  • Notorious ‘VIP’ prison in Paris closed for renovations

    Read more

  • Christians in Iraq's Mosul face execution or exodus

    Read more

  • Scores killed as Libyan militias fight over airport

    Read more

  • Ukraine football players refuse to return home after friendly in France

    Read more

  • China steps up communist education to guard against ‘moral decline’

    Read more

  • French rugby stars attacked with machetes and swords

    Read more

  • Hollande announces new military operation in West Africa

    Read more

  • Kristoff wins Tour’s flat Stage 15

    Read more

Europe

Mladic expected to shun war crimes court

Video by Shirli SITBON

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-07-04

Ex-Bosnian Serb army chief Ratko Mladic will not attend his second plea bargain hearing on Monday unless he is forced to, his lawyers have said. Mladic was arrested in May for his role in the Srebrenica massacre during the Bosnian war.

REUTERS - Former Bosnian Serb army chief Ratko Mladic plans to boycott the U.N. war crimes court on Monday, when he is scheduled to enter a plea against charges of genocide during the Bosnian war.

Arrested in May and extradited to The Hague after 16 years on the run, Mladic defiantly rejected war crimes charges against him as “obnoxious” and “monstrous” when he was formally charged at the Yugoslavia war crimes court last month.

Mladic is accused over the 43-month siege of the Bosnian capital Sarajevo and the massacre of 8,000 Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica—Europe’s worst massacre since World War Two.

The 69-year-old career soldier will not attend his second plea hearing on Monday in order to press him demand for the appointment of his own defence lawyers, Belgrade-based lawyer Milos Saljic said.

“Mladic is not going to appear in the courtroom tomorrow unless he is forced to. He does not want to do it because he does not have his team of lawyers yet,” Saljic told Reuters on Sunday.

Mladic’s former political chief Radovan Karadzic boycotted the start of his trial in 2009 and it is considered unlikely that the tribunal would force Mladic to appear on Monday.

If confronted with an empty dock, or even if Mladic does attend and refuses to enter a plea, judge Alphons Orie is likely to enter a plea of “not guilty” on Mladic’s behalf.

Court spokeswoman Nerma Jelacic said the court had not been officially notified of Mladic’s plans and declined to comment. The tribunal is still verifying the qualifications and eligibility of the list of Mladic’s preferred attorneys.

Genocide lawsuit

Mladic is accused over a campaign to seize territory for Serbs after Bosnia, following Croatia, broke away from the Yugoslav federation in the 1990s as the Balkan state broke up during five years of war that killed at least 130,000 people.

The stakes are high for Serbia because Mladic’s trial could unearth evidence showing Belgrade knew about or helped commit genocide at Srebrenica if Mladic argues he was carrying out orders, or the desires, of political leaders.

The International Court of Justice ruled in 2007 that Serbia failed to prevent genocide, but was not responsible for it. The decision shielded Serbia from compensation claims from Bosnia.

“If they (Serb authorities) were more strongly involved, the conclusion would still be the same that they did not prevent genocide, but because of their involvement there might be reasons to reopen the issue of compensation,” said Andre de Hoogh, a lecturer in international law at Groningen University.

Hague prosecutor Serge Brammertz has said Mladic used his power to commit atrocities and must answer for it, but Serb nationalists say Mladic defended the nation and did no worse than Croat or Bosnian Muslim army commanders.

Mladic, who has said he is a “gravely ill” man, is no longer in the prison hospital and now plays chess with other detainees. He argued last month he only defended his country and people.

Lawyer Saljic said Mladic’s family will now ask Serbia and Bosnia’s Serb Republic to help pay for the general’s defence.

But Dusan Ignjatovic, head of the Office for Cooperation with the Hague Tribunal, said it was unlikely Serbia would grant the request because Mladic did not voluntarily surrender to the court—a requirement necessary for his defence to be funded.

“We have no official request from the Mladic family,” Ignjatovic said. “Serbia has never paid the defence for anyone ... I believe Mladic will be no exception.”

Date created : 2011-07-04

  • JUSTICE

    Mladic faces war crimes tribunal

    Read more

  • SERBIA Q&A

    'A severe pronouncement of Serbian victimhood'

    Read more

  • SERBIA

    Clashes erupt as thousands protest Mladic arrest

    Read more

COMMENT(S)