Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

"Why Are So Many Children Dying in Gaza?"

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Central African Republic: Seleka calls for partition

Read more

DEBATE

Nigeria: One Hundred Days and Counting (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Nigeria: One Hundred Days and Counting

Read more

FOCUS

Can Chancellor Merkel's winning streak last?

Read more

FOCUS

Hunger in a fertile land...

Read more

ENCORE!

High-tech acting king Andy Serkis on Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Read more

REPORTERS

Hong Kong in rebellion against the 'motherland'

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Dalia Grybauskaite, President of the Republic of Lithuania

Read more

  • Israel faces heightened diplomatic pressure as Gaza violence rages

    Read more

  • France charges Swiss bank UBS with tax fraud

    Read more

  • In pictures: Thousands march for Gaza peace in Paris

    Read more

  • Cycling is ‘winning the war on doping,’ says expert

    Read more

  • Botched Arizona execution takes nearly two hours

    Read more

  • Bomb attacks leave scores dead in north Nigeria

    Read more

  • Netherlands holds day of mourning for victims of flight MH17

    Read more

  • Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down over rebel-held territory

    Read more

  • Ryanair ordered to pay back €9.6m in illegal state aid to France

    Read more

  • Gaza protests: ‘France imported the Mideast conflict a long time ago’

    Read more

  • Video: Fear, death and mourning in Gaza’s Khan Younis

    Read more

  • TransAsia Airways Taiwan crash leaves dozens dead

    Read more

  • Poland’s Rafal Majka wins 17th stage of Tour de France

    Read more

  • Young riders raise French hopes for Tour de France

    Read more

  • Defying UK, France to proceed with warships sale to Russia

    Read more

Europe

Dutch responsible for three Muslim deaths at Srebrenica

Latest update : 2011-07-06

An appeals court in the Netherlands ruled on Tuesday that the Dutch state is responsible for the deaths of three Muslims during the 1995 Srebrenica massacre, while Eastern Bosnia was under the protection of Dutch UN peacekeepers.

REUTERS  - The Dutch state is responsible for the deaths of three Muslim men after the fall of Srebrenica during the Bosnian war, a Dutch appeals court ruled on Tuesday, opening the door to compensation claims.

Dutch troops were in charge of the U.N.-declared ‘safe area’ at Srebrenica in July 1995 when Bosnian Serb forces overran the enclave and killed about 8,000 Bosnian Muslim men and boys.

Relatives of a local electrician who assisted the Dutch but was killed at Srebrenica, and the troops’ local interpreter, whose father and brother are also believed to have died, lodged legal action against the Dutch state seeking damages.

In its ruling, the court said the Dutch state was responsible for the death of these men because the Dutch U.N. troops, known as Dutchbat, should not have allowed the men to leave the safe area or fall into the hands of the Bosnian Serb forces.

“The Dutchbat had been witness to multiple incidents in which the Bosnian Serbs mistreated or killed male refugees outside the compound. The Dutch therefore knew that ... the men were at great risk if they were to leave the compound,” the court said in its ruling.

The Dutch government, which has faced several lawsuits in recent years over the massacre, has always insisted that its troops were abandoned by the United Nations, which provided them no air support.

A case launched by the group Mothers of Srebrenica against the Dutch state is now before the Dutch Supreme Court, where lawyers are seeking a referral of the case to the European Court of Justice to also challenge the immunity of the United Nations.

In its ruling on Tuesday, the appeals court said its decision only applied to the specific case of the three Muslim men and no ruling had been made over the situation of the other refugees at Srebrenica.

However, the court said that Dutch troops were initially operating under U.N. orders and that an “exceptional situation” developed after the fall of Srebrenica. Since the Dutch government tried to intervene in the situation, it could be held responsible for the deaths of three men, the court said.

The Srebrenica massacre remains a sensitive issue in the Netherlands, where the government fell in 2002 after a damning report by the Dutch Institute for War Documentation into the events surroundings the killings.

Date created : 2011-07-05

  • WAR CRIMES

    Court enters not guilty plea as Mladic disrupts hearing

    Read more

  • BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA

    Son of wartime leader to join Bosnia's tripartite presidency

    Read more

  • EUROPEAN UNION

    EU officials lift travel restrictions for Albanians and Bosnians

    Read more

COMMENT(S)