Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Netanyahu deletes tweet featuring photo of James Foley

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Read more

FOCUS

Lifting the veil over China's air pollution

Read more

ENCORE!

Tango Takeover in Paris

Read more

WEB NEWS

Calls for ISIS media blackout after execution of James Foley

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Steely resolve of reporters exploited by pared-down employers'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US judge calls Argentina bond swap offer illegal

Read more

  • Europe launches navigation satellites to rival GPS

    Read more

  • Besieged by problems, Hollande faces unhappy return from summer holidays

    Read more

  • Iraqi Sunnis quit govt talks after mosque massacre

    Read more

  • US demands Russia withdraw aid convoy from Ukraine

    Read more

  • PSG fall flat once more against Evian

    Read more

  • Fed Chair says US job market still hampered by Great Recession

    Read more

  • August 22, 1914: The bloodiest day in French military history

    Read more

  • Central African Republic announces coalition cabinet

    Read more

  • Hamas publicly executes "informers"

    Read more

  • French firebrand leftist to quit party presidency, but not politics

    Read more

  • Fear of Ebola sky-high among Air France workers

    Read more

  • US says Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen'

    Read more

  • Malaysia mourns as remains of MH17 victims arrive home

    Read more

  • Turkish Foreign Minister Davutoglu set to be Erdogan's new PM

    Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

Europe

Cameron 'shocked' by tabloid voicemail hacking allegations

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-07-05

British PM David Cameron on Tuesday described as 'truly dreadful' the allegations that the tabloid News of the World hacked into the voicemail of a missing schoolgirl who was later found murdered, thereby hindering the police inquiry.

AP - Prime Minister David Cameron said Tuesday he is shocked by allegations that a British tabloid hacked into the cellphone of a murdered schoolgirl after she went missing.

“If they are true, this is a truly dreadful act and a truly dreadful situation,” Cameron said about the latest hacking allegations against the News of the World.

“What I’ve read in the papers is quite, quite shocking, that someone could do this actually knowing that the police were trying to find this person and trying to find out what happened,” he added.

The prime minister spoke while on a brief trip to Afghanistan as the phone hacking scandal in Britain deepened with claims that the tabloid’s intrusion into the missing girl’s voicemail system may have disrupted the U.K. police investigation.

The case involves charges that the newspaper’s representatives broke into the voicemail of 13-year-old Milly Dowler when she was first reported missing in 2002. She was later murdered by a nightclub doorman.

Lawyer Mark Lewis, representing Dowler’s family, said he plans to sue the tabloid, which is at the center of the long-running scandal that involves widespread hacking into the voicemail systems of celebrities, sports figures and aides working with the royal family.

Lewis said the parents were given hope that their daughter was alive because messages on her phone had been deleted - allegedly by the tabloid’s representative.

“It is distress heaped upon tragedy to learn that the News of the World had no humanity at such a terrible time,” he said. “The fact that they were prepared to act in such a heinous way that could have jeopardized the police investigation and give them false hope is despicable.”

The tabloid’s publisher, News International, released a statement Monday saying the matter is of grave concern and promising to cooperate with investigators. The publishers have already apologized and reached financial settlements in a number of phone hacking cases.

A private investigator and a royal editor who worked for News of the World were jailed in 2007 for tapping the phones of royal household staff. Five more people have been arrested since a fresh police investigation began in January.

Date created : 2011-07-05

COMMENT(S)