Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Media response to Ottawa shooting

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

"Canada's Coverage of the Ottawa Shootings Put American Cable News to Shame"

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Manuel Valls and the "art of putting one’s foot in one’s mouth"

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Daniele Balice, Co-founder of the gallery Balice Hertling

Read more

FOCUS

Tunisia: Religious education claims bigger role in curriculum

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Budget tensions heat up in Brussels as EU leaders meet for second day

Read more

DEBATE

Canada's jihadists: Country in shock after spate of attacks (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Canada's jihadists: Country in shock after spate of attacks

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Burkina Faso: Government seeks referendum

Read more

Sport

Leonardo undecided over move to Paris Saint-Germain

Video by FRANCE 24

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-07-08

Former Inter Milan coach Leonardo has not confirmed his arrival in Paris Saint-Germain and talks are still under way, the Brazilian told a news conference organized in Milan on Thursday.

REUTERS - Former Inter Milan coach Leonardo is not certain he will move to Paris Saint-Germain, the Brazilian told a news conference on Thursday.

Leonardo, who led the Nerazzurri to second position and the Coppa Italia after taking over as coach in December, was replaced two weeks ago by Gian Piero Gasperini in mysterious circumstances following media speculation he had met with PSG's new owners, Qatar Investment Authority, in Doha and agreed to become a director at the French club.

Appearing before the Italian press for the first time after his extended holiday, the former AC Milan player, director and coach admitted meeting PSG in Doha but said he had intended to stay as Inter boss right up until Gasperini's appointment.

"I'm a free agent," the 41-year old told reporters, arriving in Milan after a two-day meeting in London with PSG's new owners. "There's no reason for me to go to Paris at the  moment.

Until three days ago I hadn't dealt with PSG and I've never spoken about money. There are still many things to consider and I don't know what will happen."

Despite losing his job as Inter coach, Leonardo described Massimo Moratti as a "father figure", claiming the embattled Inter chief had made the decision for the best interests of Leonardo as well as the club.

"Moratti treated me as a father treats a son," he said, describing how Inter's president had given his permission to meet with PSG's then prospective owners on 6 June. "I initially responded [to PSG's offer] that it was impossible but Moratti said 'it's a great thing for you' and he didn't stand in my way."

As speculation mounted in the Italian and French press over Leonardo's decision, Moratti contacted former Argentina and Chile manager Marcelo Bielsa and then Gasperini as a replacement, claiming he needed a "coach not a director".

"The news of the telephone call with Bielsa created a very delicate situation that I didn't want to comment on," an emotional Leonardo said. "Moratti told me twice that I could still remain but then told me he didn't want to put me in the eye of the storm. There was no betrayal, but I'm sad I'm no longer Inter coach because it was a great challenge.

"The Brazilian, who left AC Milan by mutual agreement last year after reported interference from owner and Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, said he did not know what the future held.

"I don't know if my occupation is coach or director but I'm not counting out coaching in the future," said Leonardo who spent a year as player at PSG.

"PSG is a possibility -- I have to understand it. I haven't made a response because there's been no offer to sign, I don't know who they are looking to buy and don't know the project."

Date created : 2011-07-08

COMMENT(S)