Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Netanyahu deletes tweet featuring photo of James Foley

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Read more

FOCUS

Lifting the veil over China's air pollution

Read more

ENCORE!

Tango Takeover in Paris

Read more

WEB NEWS

Calls for ISIS media blackout after execution of James Foley

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Steely resolve of reporters exploited by pared-down employers'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US judge calls Argentina bond swap offer illegal

Read more

  • Europe launches navigation satellites to rival GPS

    Read more

  • Besieged by problems, Hollande faces unhappy return from summer holidays

    Read more

  • Iraqi Sunnis quit govt talks after mosque massacre

    Read more

  • US demands Russia withdraw aid convoy from Ukraine

    Read more

  • Rights group sues US government over ‘deportation mill’

    Read more

  • Colombian army and FARC rebels begin work on ceasefire

    Read more

  • US National Guard starts to pull out of embattled Missouri town

    Read more

  • PSG fall flat once more against Evian

    Read more

  • Fed Chair says US job market still hampered by Great Recession

    Read more

  • August 22, 1914: The bloodiest day in French military history

    Read more

  • Central African Republic announces coalition cabinet

    Read more

  • Hamas publicly executes "informers"

    Read more

  • French firebrand leftist to quit party presidency, but not politics

    Read more

  • Fear of Ebola sky-high among Air France workers

    Read more

  • US says Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen'

    Read more

  • Malaysia mourns as remains of MH17 victims arrive home

    Read more

  • Turkish Foreign Minister Davutoglu set to be Erdogan's new PM

    Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

Europe

Staff react angrily to News of the World's demise

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-07-08

Staff at The News of the World were reeling Thursday at Rupert Murdoch's decision to close the newspaper embroiled in a phone hacking scandal. Employees said they were angry that they were "carrying the can" for other people's crimes.

AFP - Staff at the News of the World's offices reacted with shock and anger Thursday at Rupert Murdoch's decision to close the 168-year-old tabloid after it was engulfed in a phone hacking scandal.

As they emerged from the flat-roofed brick entrance to the News International compound in Wapping, east London, staff at the Sunday paper said they were still reeling from the shock announcement earlier in the day.



Many said they felt they were carrying the can for crimes committed before they worked there.

David Wooding, the paper's Associate Editor, said the staff had been "sickened to the core" by the revelations that a private investigator working for the paper had hacked the phones of a murdered teenage girl, dead soldiers' families, celebrities, politicians and royals.

"Now, like them, we have been caught up in this awful mess (created) by people who worked for our paper many years ago," Wooding said.

"Like many of us who have been told we'll be out of work today, I didn't work for the News of the World when all this happened.

"I came here because it had a great, dynamic professional team.

PAVIOT on News of the World Hacking Scandal


"I came here to a very clean outfit. The people who created all this damage left five years ago," he told Sky News.

"The phone hacking that resulted in two people being jailed, I thought that was the end of it."

Wooding added: "People who worked on the News of the World at that time used the services of an unscrupulous private detective called Glenn Mulcaire. Among other things he did, he got caught."

Mulcaire and the paper's then royal correspondent Clive Goodman were jailed in 2007 for hacking the phones of celebrities and royals.

It only emerged this week that Mulcaire had also hacked the voicemail of Milly Dowler, a 13-year-old girl who disappeared in 2002. She was later found murdered.

Other employees emerging from the site where the Sun, the Times and the Sunday Times are also produced said the shock at the decision to shut down the paper, and leave 200 staff without jobs, was palpable.

One man said he felt "frankly terrible" as he left the site, while a Sunday Times employee added: "It's a pretty tense atmosphere in there.

"There are a lot of people worried."

Dan Wootton, the paper's showbusiness correspondent, said there had been disbelief at the announcement to staff that the paper would close.

"We weren't hacking phones, we were producing award-winning journalism," he told BBC TV.

On Thursday, London's Metropolitan Police said it was seeking to contact 4,000 possible targets of hacking named in documents seized as part of the investigation into the News of the World.
 

Date created : 2011-07-08

  • UK

    News of the World to close over phone-hacking scandal

    Read more

  • UNITED KINGDOM

    Relatives of war dead among phone-hacking victims

    Read more

  • UK

    Fallout from tabloid phone-hacking scandal spreads

    Read more

COMMENT(S)