President Alpha Conde delivered an address on state radio Tuesday and confirmed earlier reports that his private residence had been attacked by armed assailants. A minister reported that one of the presidential guards was killed during the raid.
AP - Guinea’s president says his private residence was attacked by gunmen in an attempt on his life that killed one of his presidential guards.
Alpha Conde said Tuesday on state radio that his security detail “fought heroically at 3:10 a.m. until reinforcements arrived.”
He called on the population of the West African nation to stay calm and avoid reprisal attacks, saying he had promised to bring change.
He said: “Our enemies can try everything, but they will not stop the march of the Guinean people.”
Reached by telephone, Francois Fall, a minister at the presidency, confirmed the attackers had killed at least one member of the presidential guard, injured others and destroyed part of Conde’s home.
Date created : 2011-07-19