Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

War and Markets, with Steen Jakobsen, Chief Economist at Saxo Bank

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

France commemorates a hero of the left

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Diplomatic strain for John Kerry

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Germany and Russia 'discuss secret Ukraine deal'

Read more

WEB NEWS

Fake Twitter accounts spread Chinese propaganda

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Argentina set for deeper recession after default

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Dr Matshidiso Moeti, Former WHO Deputy Regional Director for Africa

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Towards a 'Third Intifada'?

Read more

DEBATE

Iraq's Christians: Nowhere to Run? (part 2)

Read more

  • Interactive: France’s new game plan to counter jihadism in Africa

    Read more

  • Israel calls up 16,000 more reservists as Gaza death toll soars

    Read more

  • France remembers murdered socialist hero Jean Jaurès

    Read more

  • Air France ground workers to strike on August 2

    Read more

  • Sierra Leone declares state of emergency over Ebola outbreak

    Read more

  • Investigators reach MH17 crash site amid 24-hour ceasefire

    Read more

  • Video: Inside Hamas ‘terror’ tunnels in Gaza

    Read more

  • Scores feared dead in India landslide

    Read more

  • Russia ordered to pay further €1.9 billion to Yukos shareholders

    Read more

  • Iraq's Christians: Nowhere to Run?

    Read more

  • Russia defiant as US, EU unveil 'phase three' sanctions

    Read more

  • US House votes to sue Obama for over-reaching his powers

    Read more

  • Argentina fails to reach deal with creditors

    Read more

  • Women should not laugh in public, Turkey's deputy PM says

    Read more

Africa

President addresses nation after attack on residence

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-07-19

President Alpha Conde delivered an address on state radio Tuesday and confirmed earlier reports that his private residence had been attacked by armed assailants. A minister reported that one of the presidential guards was killed during the raid.

AP - Guinea’s president says his private residence was attacked by gunmen in an attempt on his life that killed one of his presidential guards.

Alpha Conde said Tuesday on state radio that his security detail “fought heroically at 3:10 a.m. until reinforcements arrived.”

He called on the population of the West African nation to stay calm and avoid reprisal attacks, saying he had promised to bring change.

He said: “Our enemies can try everything, but they will not stop the march of the Guinean people.”

Reached by telephone, Francois Fall, a minister at the presidency, confirmed the attackers had killed at least one member of the presidential guard, injured others and destroyed part of Conde’s home.

 

Date created : 2011-07-19

  • GUINEA CONAKRY

    Village witch-hunt triggers deadly violence

    Read more

  • Guinea

    Alpha Conde wins Guinean Presidential Election

    Read more

COMMENT(S)