Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

'New York Post' slammed for publishing ISIS execution images

Read more

DEBATE

Back to Square One?

Read more

DEBATE

Israel-Gaza: Back to Square One?

Read more

DEBATE

Israel-Gaza conflict: 72-hour ceasefire deal sets stage for Cairo talks

Read more

WEB NEWS

Web users divided over Darren Wilson

Read more

FOCUS

Spain's El Hierro to become world's first self-powered island

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

A bellwether for what not to do

Read more

ENCORE!

Luc Besson back in action with Scarlett Johansson in 'Lucy'

Read more

FOCUS

Israel's minorities and military service

Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

  • Brutal IS beheading video sparks social media pushback

    Read more

  • US attorney general visits Missouri town after fatal shooting

    Read more

  • French village rallies behind besieged elderly British couple

    Read more

  • Netanyahu compares Hamas to IS, Gaza offensive to continue

    Read more

  • France’s ex-PM Juppé sets up presidential clash with Sarkozy

    Read more

  • France’s Hollande says global security ‘worst since 2001’

    Read more

  • France urges Iran, others in region, to join fight against IS

    Read more

  • A new view on Normandy landings, 70 years on

    Read more

  • Dozens killed as landslides strike Japan’s Hiroshima

    Read more

  • Suspected Ebola cases in Austria, new drug raises hopes

    Read more

  • WWII anniversary highlights best - and worst - of Paris police

    Read more

  • Headscarf at the beach sparks French MEP’s fury

    Read more

  • Video: Life in under-siege Donetsk

    Read more

  • Racism, riots and police violence: USA under scrutiny

    Read more

Asia-pacific

Mumbai attacker ‘appeals death sentence’

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-07-29

The lone surviving gunman from the deadly 2008 Mumbai attacks has asked the Indian Supreme Court to overturn his death sentence, a judicial source told AFP. He had already appealed to the state High Court, which had upheld the verdict in February.

AFP - The lone surviving gunman from the 2008 Mumbai attacks that left 166 dead has approached the Indian Supreme Court asking for his death sentence to be overturned, a court source told AFP Friday.           

The source said the request by Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab had been filed via jail authorities in Mumbai, where he has been held since the attacks, and lodged with the secretary general of the court.
             
"He filed the appeal through the Arthur Road jail authorities," the source said, asking not to be named.
             
Pakistani national Kasab, one of 10 Islamist gunmen who laid siege to the city for nearly three days, was first convicted and sentenced by a trial court in the Indian commercial and entertainment capital in May 2010.
             
The death sentence was confirmed by the state high court in February in the first failed appeal by the 23-year-old school drop-out from a poor farming area in Pakistan's Punjab state.
             
India has the death sentence for the "rarest of the rare" criminal offences and executions are uncommon.
             
Kasab was found guilty of a string of offences including waging war against India, murder, attempted murder and terrorist acts after a trial at a maximum security prison court in Mumbai.
             
During the trial, the prosecution produced fingerprint, DNA, eye-witness, CCTV and other evidence showing him opening fire and throwing grenades in the bloodiest episode of the November 26 attacks at Mumbai's main railway station.
             
A number of senior police officers, including the head of the Maharashtra state anti-terrorism squad, were killed as the gunmen fled the scene of carnage.
             
Three luxury hotels, a popular tourist restaurant and a Jewish centre were also targeted by the other gunmen.
             
If the Supreme Court upholds the verdict and sentence, Kasab can appeal for clemency to India's president as a last resort.
             
The last execution in India was in 2004, but in May India’s president unexpectedly rejected a mercy petition from a murderer in the northeastern state of Assam.
             
The state faces a difficult search for a hangman, however, because the small number of known candidates have either died or retired.
              
India has accused the banned, Pakistan-based Islamist group Lashkar-e-Taiba of being behind the attacks, which led to the suspension of fragile peace talks between the two neighbours and rivals.

 

Date created : 2011-07-29

  • INDIA

    Court upholds death penalty for Mumbai attacker

    Read more

  • INDIA

    Court sentences Mumbai gunman to death by hanging

    Read more

  • INDIA

    Mumbai attacks gunman awaits sentencing

    Read more

COMMENT(S)