Latest update: 03/08/2011
- debt - Democrats (USA) - economy - Republicans (USA) - Senate (USA) - US economy - USA
US debt deal: but at what cost?
Today, the press and blogosphere have called the 74-page agreement between Democrats and Republicans to raise the US debt ceiling by 2.4 trillion dollars "a disastrous compromise", "the result of extortion" and even "a sugar-coated Satan sandwich" (by Democrat Emmanuel Cleaver). Laura Baines asks her guests if Obama has given away too much, and if such a divided Washington will able to deal with the major economic challenges ahead.
- Philip CROWTHER, France 24 Correspondent (from Washington);
- Bruce STOKES, Senior Transatlantic Fellow for Economics, German Marshall Fund of the United States (from Washington)
- Chris EDWARDS, Director of Tax and Budget studies, CATO Institute (from Washington);
- John R. MacARTHUR, Publisher, Harper’s Magazine (from New York)
- Ali FATEMI, Professor of finance, American Graduate School of Economics in Paris.