Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Trump and Macron media moments

Read more

ENCORE!

Photographer Clare Strand explores the causes and consequences of communication breakdown

Read more

IN THE PRESS

Fashion and ethics: Five years after Bangladesh factory collapse, what's changed?

Read more

FOCUS

Israel’s migrant crisis: Clear government signals, but unclear decisions

Read more

PERSPECTIVE

Plastic waste: ‘We can only tackle the problem if we work together’

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Louis XIV's message for the British royal baby

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Zimbabwean nurses call off strike and return to work

Read more

THE DEBATE

Macron meets Trump: A state visit with discord on the horizon?

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Macron hopes for breakthrough on trade tensions during US visit

Read more

Asia-pacific

Deadly suicide attack strikes guesthouse

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-08-02

Four Afghan security guards employed by the German development agency GTZ were killed Tuesday after three suicide bombers attacked a guesthouse used by foreigners in the northern province of Kunduz.

REUTERS - Three suicide bombers attacked a guesthouse frequented by foreigners in the northern Afghan province of Kunduz on Tuesday, killing four Afghan security guards employed by a German company, a senior police detective said.

The raid followed a string of assassinations in the once peaceful north of the country, and came one day after the beginning of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

One attacker detonated a car bomb at the gates of the guesthouse. The other two stormed the building where they fought Afghan forces for a couple of hours before detonating their explosives, said Kunduz police detective Abdul Rahman.

Ten people, including civilians and a police officer, were wounded in the early morning attack, said Rahman. It was not immediately clear if any foreigners were among the wounded.

Rahman said the slain Afghan security guards were employed by German development agency GTZ.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, said spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid.
Violence has intensified in the north of the country in the past year as insurgents seek to demonstrate their reach beyond their traditional southern heartland around Kandahar city.

The police chief of north Afghanistan, General Dawood Dawood, was killed in May in a massive bomb attack in Takhar province, along with the Takhar police chief.

In June, a suicide bomber detonated his explosives at a memorial service for Dawood in Kunduz, killing at least four policemen. The attack appeared to target the police chief of Kunduz province, Sameullah Qatra, whose predecessor in the post was killed by a suicide bomber in March. Qatra was unharmed.

Violence is at its worst in Afghanistan since U.S.-backed Afghan forces toppled the Taliban government in late 2001, with high levels of foreign troop deaths, and record civilian casualties.

A gradual transition of security control to Afghan forces began last month with when areas were handed over by the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force. Afghan forces are due to take full control across the country by the end of 2014.

In the past month insurgents have carried out a string of destabilising assassinations of high-profile southern leaders, including President Hamid Karzai’s younger brother, and several large attacks killing police and civilians.


 

Date created : 2011-08-02

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Deadly blast targets Afghan police headquarters

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Bomb kills bus full of civilians in southern province

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    BBC journalist among dead in triple suicide bombing

    Read more

COMMENT(S)