Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Weiner strikes again

Read more

THE DEBATE

Colombia's Path to Peace: Can historic deal with FARC rebels work? (part 1)

Read more

THE DEBATE

Colombia's Path to Peace: Can historic deal with FARC rebels work? (part 2)

Read more

FOCUS

The rise of political tourism in the Middle East

Read more

ENCORE!

Music show: Video Music Awards, Rock en Seine and Puppa Lek Sen

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

The Gulf of Porto, a paradise of land and sea

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Quarterback takes a stand by sitting down

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

The hidden secrets of Les Invalides

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Anger over restaurant's decision to deny service to Muslim women

Read more

Europe

'I love you both,' massacre survivor texts parents

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2011-08-02

On July 22, Jaran Berg sent what he thought would be his last text message to his parents as a gunman went on a rampage through the Norwegian island of Utoeya. Now he's determined to ensure such a tragedy will not happen again.

On that fateful Friday, as 24-year-old Jaran Berg was desperately trying to flee the carnage at a summer youth camp on the Norwegian island of Utoeya, he took a second to text his parents.

“I love you both,” he texted.

“I was sure I was going to die - and I wanted to tell my parents that I love them,” Berg told FRANCE 24 in an interview at the hotel where he works in the southern Norwegian city of Fredrikstad days after the country’s worst postwar massacre.

Earlier this week, Norwegian parliamentarians paid tribute to the 77 people who were killed on July 22, when Anders Behring Breivik, the self-confessed armed attacker, bombed government offices in the capital of Oslo before going on an 80-minute shooting rampage in Utoeya, where the ruling Labour Party was holding a youth summer camp.

Berg was attending the camp and when he first heard the gunshots, he initially thought it was someone playing a game. But then, he saw the killer.

He ran for his life, past the dead bodies of teenagers, stopping only momentarily to be sick at one stage when the extent of the carnage hit home. As he hid, he heard the gunman approach. That was when he sent what he thought would be his last text message.

For Berg’s parents, it was the worst experience of their lives. These days, they struggle to imagine how other parents who have lost their children are coping.

“It was sad because some cried that they could not find their children,” said Eva Berg from her home in Fredrikstad.

Seeds of hope after the carnage

While Berg survived, one of his best friends was killed in the massacre. On his laptop, Berg displays a photograph of 17-year-old Lejla Selaci, who came to Norway from war-torn Kosovo with her family to escape the violence.

But even as he struggles to come to terms with the senseless carnage he witnessed, Berg is determined not to give up hope.

The 24-year-old survivor who works with his family in a hotel in Fredrikstad says he plans to devote his life to politics - as a tribute to his friends who were killed and to prevent such an attack from ever happening again.

 

 

Date created : 2011-08-02

  • NORWAY

    PM orders independent probe of Norway massacre

    Read more

  • NORWAY

    Norway cops under fire for tardy response to rampage

    Read more

  • NORWAY

    Lawyer suggests Norway mass killer may be ‘insane’

    Read more

COMMENT(S)