Iran’s election authorities have excluded former Iranian president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani and Esfandiar Rahim Mashaei, a top aide of outgoing President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, from the country’s June 14 presidential ballot.
Latest update: 11/08/2011
- Bashar al-Assad - diplomacy - Popular revolt - Recep Tayyip Erdogan - Saudi Arabia - Syria - Turkey
Syria crackdown: a growing state of isolation
The violence against protesters continues in Syria. Turkey and Saudi Arabia have both condemned the atrocities committed in the country. Laura Baines and her panel discuss whether such regional pressure on the Syrian government might have more of an effect than criticism from the West.
- Walid SAFFOUR, President, Syrian Human Rights Committee
- Gaëtan VANNAY, Radio Suisse Romande
- Jonathan PARIS, Middle East Analyst, Senior Fellow, Atlantic Council of the US
- Fouad AL OBAID, columnist, Kuweit Times
- Ergün BABAHAN, columnist, Star Daily, Istanbul