Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

ENCORE!

The Little Prince on the big screen

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

At least 3 dead in grenade attack in Bujumbura

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Inequality, sexism and the movie industry

Read more

ENCORE!

Sienna Miller on motherhood, her new movies and Cannes glamour

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

After the Fall of Ramadi, Palmyra: Did the West Underestimate the Jihadists?

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Migrants and Immigrants: A Global Crisis

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Behind the scenes of French gastronomy

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Protests continue in Burundi as calls mount for election delay

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Burundi: Nkurunziza delays parliamentary polls as clashes continue

Read more

Sports

Wayward FIFA officials hit with penalties

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-08-10

FIFA on Wednesday suspended Caribbean football official Lisle Austin for one year, and in a separate ruling, banned six Hungarian and Bosnian officials for life over the fixing of international friendlies.

AP - FIFA suspended Caribbean football official Lisle Austin for a year Wednesday in the ongoing fallout from the presidential election bribery scandal, and banned six Hungarian and Bosnian match officials for life for helping fix international friendlies.

FIFA’s disciplinary committee suspended Austin, an ally of former FIFA vice president Jack Warner, for breaking rules by taking his dispute with the CONCACAF confederation to a civil court in the Bahamas.

Austin can appeal.

The Barbados official became acting CONCACAF president in May after FIFA
provisionally suspended Warner for allegedly helping former presidential candidate Mohamed bin Hammam bribe Caribbean voters.

CONCACAF suspended Austin days later when he tried to fire Chuck Blazer, the American general secretary who had alerted FIFA to alleged bribery. Austin then obtained an injunction from a Bahamas court allowing him to resume his duties – even though FIFA and CONCACAF statutes prohibit the use of “ordinary courts” to settle disputes.

In a separate ruling, the six match officials were banned for helping fix two international friendlies for a betting scam that became a turning point in the FIFA’s fight against match-fixing.

All seven goals were scored from penalty kicks when Latvia played Bolivia and Bulgaria faced Estonia in a Feb. 9 double-header organized by a Singaporean fixer at Antalya, Turkey.

Crime syndicates are believed to have made millions of euros (dollars) betting on the fixed matches, including wagers that at least three goals would be scored in each match. Latvia beat Bolivia 2-1 and Estonia and Bulgaria played out a 2-2 draw.

FIFA identified the officials as Kolos Lengyel, Janos Csak and Krisztian Selmeczi from Hungary, and Bosnians Sinisa Zrnic, Kenan Bajramovic, Rizah Ridalovic.

The officials were found guilty of “passive corruption” and “unlawfully influencing match results” by FIFA’s disciplinary committee, football’s world governing body said.

All six “have all been banned from taking part in any kind of football-related activity (administrative, sports or any other) at national and international level for life,” FIFA said.

The Hungarian and Bosnian national federations had previously banned the low-ranking officials.

The Antalya case prompted FIFA to crack down on how international friendlies are organized.

FIFA gave itself new powers to regulate matches, including veto powers over referee appointments, at its congress in June. The rules took effect on Aug. 1 in time for around 50 international friendly matches scheduled to be played Wednesday.

FIFA hopes it has now curbed a lucrative type of match-fixing that was revealed in Antalya and exposed loopholes in its rules.

The games were organized, and the match officials chosen, by a Thailand-based agency called Footy Sport International which used a FIFA-licensed agent from Russia to arrange the doubleheader.

Estonian officials alerted FIFA to its concerns ahead of its match because organizers would not give details of the match officials’ identity, but were advised to proceed and play.

The games were played in a near-empty stadium with meager television coverage, adding to concerns that organizers intended to profit from placing bets on fixed outcomes.

FIFA asked the four federations for their observations to help in its investigation.

FIFA believes that Singaporean businessman Anthony Santia Raj was key to organizing the scam. He has not been traced.
 

Date created : 2011-08-10

  • 2014 FIFA World Cup

    FIFA to unveil 2014 World Cup qualification draw

    Read more

  • FOOTBALL

    Blatter re-elected as FIFA president

    Read more

  • FIFA WORLD CUP

    Official denies saying Qatar 'bought' World Cup rights

    Read more

COMMENT(S)