Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

IN THE PAPERS

French MPs face quandary in pro-Palestinian rallies

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Shifts in the propaganda war waged between Israelis and Palestinians

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Yezid Sayigh, Senior Associate at the Carnegie Middle East Center in Beirut

Read more

#TECH 24

Mind the Gender Gap : getting more women into the tech sector

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Bolivian children: heading to work aged 10

Read more

WEB NEWS

Israel and Hamas battle online over public opinion

Read more

FOCUS

Can Chancellor Merkel's winning streak last?

Read more

FOCUS

Hunger in a fertile land...

Read more

DEBATE

Nigeria: One Hundred Days and Counting (part 2)

Read more

  • Air Algerie ‘lost contact’ with flight leaving Burkina Faso

    Read more

  • Two foreign women shot dead in western Afghanistan

    Read more

  • At least 60 killed in attack on prison convoy near Baghdad

    Read more

  • Sudanese Christian woman sentenced to death arrives in Italy

    Read more

  • Cycling is ‘winning the war on doping,’ says expert

    Read more

  • Ceasefire agreed for Central African Republic

    Read more

  • In pictures: Thousands march for Gaza peace in Paris

    Read more

  • Can Jew-kissing-Arab selfie give peace a viral chance?

    Read more

  • France charges Swiss bank UBS with tax fraud

    Read more

  • Israel faces heightened diplomatic pressure as Gaza violence rages

    Read more

  • Botched Arizona execution takes nearly two hours

    Read more

  • Bomb attacks leave scores dead in north Nigeria

    Read more

  • Netherlands holds day of mourning for victims of flight MH17

    Read more

  • Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down over rebel-held territory

    Read more

  • Ryanair ordered to pay back €9.6m in illegal state aid to France

    Read more

Europe

Former Nazi war crimes suspect Kepiro dies aged 97

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-09-03

Former Hungarian gendarmerie captain Sandor Kepiro, once the world’s most wanted Nazi war crimes suspect, has died in Budapest aged 97, six weeks after he was cleared of ordering mass executions in the Serbian town of Novi Sad in January 1942.

AFP - Hungary's Sandor Kepiro, until recently the world's most wanted Nazi war crimes suspect, died Saturday in Budapest aged 97, according to his family.

The announcement, reported by the Hungarian news agency MTI, came six weeks after a Budapest court cleared Kepiro of the war crimes charges against him.

"Sandor Kepiro... died Saturday morning, the family and lawyer of the deceased announced," MTI reported, without giving any details of the exact time or cause of death.

The former Hungarian gendarmerie captain had been suspected of ordering the execution of over 30 Jews and Serbs in the Serbian town of Novi Sad in January 1942.

Until his acquittal, Kepiro had topped the Simon Wiesenthal Center's list of most wanted Nazi war criminals.

In Belgrade, Serb war crimes prosecutor Vladimir Vukcevic voiced regret that Kepiro had died, claiming justice had not yet bene done for the victims of the Novi Sad killings.

"We regret that the truth has not been established before justice regarding this crime and that justice has not been served for the victims," Vukcevic was quoted as saying by the Serbian Tanjug news agency,

The court in Budapest had freed Kepiro on July 18, following a two-month trial that relied heavily on evidence contained in old documents and testimonies.

In his closing remarks after that verdict, Judge Bela Varga noted that the trial "has primarily raised concerns and doubts, but no facts.

"Because there were so many doubts and concerns, the court acquitted (Kepiro) not on the basis of the lack of a criminal act, but based on the lack of proof," he said.

Kepiro had faced a possible life sentence for his alleged participation in a raid by Hungarian forces -- then allied to Nazi Germany -- in Novi Sad on January 21-23, 1942, in which more than 1,200 Jews and Serbs were murdered.

Visibly weakened at his trial, Kepiro, who always insisted on his innocence, had been in hospital since July.

Although he was deemed fit enough to stand trial, the proceedings dragged on to take into account the defendant's diminishing health and poor hearing, and he appeared in court for the verdict in a wheelchair and with a drip attached to his arm.

"I am innocent, I never killed, I never robbed," he had insisted before the verdict.

His acquittal sparked immediate criticism from the Simon Wiesenthal Center and from Serbia, where hundreds gathered in Belgrade and Novi Sad to protest the court's decision, shouting "He is guilty."

The Wiesenthal Center called it a "scandal" and an "outrageous miscarriage of justice."

"(The) verdict is laughing in the face of at least 1,246 victims of the raid in Novi Sad," said the centre's director, Efraim Zuroff after the court read out its decision.

Kepiro had already been found guilty of the crimes in Novi Sad twice in the 1940s but avoided prison by fleeing to Argentina in 1944, where he remained for half a century before returning to Budapest in 1996, where he was tracked down by Nazi hunter Zuroff.

With proceedings against another Nazi war criminal, Ukrainian-born John Demjanjuk, closed in Germany in May, Kepiro trial's had been seen as one of the last of its kind.
 

Date created : 2011-09-03

  • HUNGARY

    Nazi war crimes suspect Kepiro found not guilty

    Read more

  • JUSTICE

    Convicted Nazi guard released pending appeal

    Read more

  • JUSTICE

    Nazi guard Demjanjuk sentenced to prison

    Read more

COMMENT(S)