Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Netanyahu deletes tweet featuring photo of James Foley

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Read more

FOCUS

Lifting the veil over China's air pollution

Read more

ENCORE!

Tango Takeover in Paris

Read more

WEB NEWS

Calls for ISIS media blackout after execution of James Foley

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Steely resolve of reporters exploited by pared-down employers'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US judge calls Argentina bond swap offer illegal

Read more

  • Europe launches navigation satellites to rival GPS

    Read more

  • Besieged by problems, Hollande faces unhappy return from summer holidays

    Read more

  • Iraqi Sunnis quit govt talks after mosque massacre

    Read more

  • US demands Russia withdraw aid convoy from Ukraine

    Read more

  • Rights group sues US government over ‘deportation mill’

    Read more

  • PSG fall flat once more against Evian

    Read more

  • US National Guard starts to pull out of embattled Missouri town

    Read more

  • Fed Chair says US job market still hampered by Great Recession

    Read more

  • August 22, 1914: The bloodiest day in French military history

    Read more

  • Central African Republic announces coalition cabinet

    Read more

  • Hamas publicly executes "informers"

    Read more

  • French firebrand leftist to quit party presidency, but not politics

    Read more

  • Fear of Ebola sky-high among Air France workers

    Read more

  • US says Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen'

    Read more

  • Malaysia mourns as remains of MH17 victims arrive home

    Read more

  • Turkish Foreign Minister Davutoglu set to be Erdogan's new PM

    Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

Africa

Gaddafi stronghold on edge as handover talks fail

Video by FRANCE 2 , Karen Creed

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-09-05

As talks on the handover of the Gaddafi stronghold of Bani Walid to National Transitional Council control failed on Sunday, anti-Gaddafi forces said it was only a matter of time before they moved in on the town.

REUTERS - Libyan forces failed to convince Muammar Gaddafi loyalists on Sunday to give up one of their last strongholds without a fight, raising the prospect of an assault on the town of Bani Walid.

Outside the desert town, a National Transitional Council (NTC) negotiator said talks were over.

“As chief negotiator, I have nothing to offer right now. From my side, negotiations are finished,” Abdallah Kanshil, a negotiator for the interim council said at a checkpoint some 60 km (38 miles) outside Bani Walid.

“We will leave this for the field commanders to decide, for the NTC to decide what to do next. I urge Gaddafi people to leave the town alone.”

He said all NTC proposals put forward on Sunday were rejected. “They said they don’t want to talk, they are threatening everyone who moves. They are putting snipers on high rise builtings and inside olive groves, they have a big fire force. We compromised a lot at the last minute,” he said.

Earlier on Sunday NTC negotiator Abdul Azil said NATO-backed NTC forces were just 10 km from Bani Walid and inching forward, ready to attack what he said were an estimated 100 pro-Gaddafi fighters there if necessary.

“We are waiting for the order for our commanders to go into the city. We have told them we are coming. Everyone should stay at home. Hopefully it will be done without bloodshed,” he said, as warplanes of the Western alliance roared overhead.

In Tripoli, life was returning to normal after last month’s fighting and last week’s Muslim holiday. Traffic was heavy as fuel supplies improved. Cafes were busy and offices opened.

NTC officials announced plans to bring their heavily-armed fighters under control and try to integrate thousands of them into the police force and find jobs for others.

“We only need the revolutionaries for the first month. We have a plan we will announce today to include 3,000 of the revolutionaries in the interior ministry who will be trained and will work in national security,” interim Interior Minister Ahmad Darat told reporters.

“The rest of them work in business or are builders etc—they don’t want to be in the police. They will give up their weapons. It’s just a matter of time and organisation.”

Officials said there would also be retraining and reintegration schemes for those who fought for Gaddafi.

The disintegration of Gaddafi’s rule after a six-month war has left a security vacuum in Libya, with no state security forces, rebel fighters who are not part of any formal structure and huge quantities of unsecured weapons.

The proliferation of weapons in Libya is a serious issue and the new rulers need to establish a proper police force and army to replace the hundreds of armed groups who patrol the streets, the United Nations Secretary-General’s special adviser on Libya said.

“Proliferation of weapons is a major concern,” the adviser, Ian Martin, said on a visit to Tripoli.

“It’s a matter of moving from the current situation in which there are many people with weapons who are fighting in this conflict to one where there is a single public security force and the kind of proper state army that didn’t exist in Libya in the past,” he told Reuters in an interview.

Gaddafi safe

Anti-Gaddafi forces have also closed in on the deposed leader’s birthplace in the coastal city of Sirte, but appear ready to allow more time for negotiations there.

“With God’s grace, we are in a position of strength. We can enter any city ... but because of our care and desire to prevent bloodshed and avoid more destruction to national institutions we have given a period of one week,” NTC chairman Mustafa Abdel Aziz said in the eastern city of Benghazi on Saturday.

“This is an opportunity for these cities to announce their peaceful joining of the revolution,” he said.

A spokesman for Gaddafi, who has been in hiding since his foes seized Tripoli on Aug. 23, has dismissed talk of surrender and said powerful tribal leaders were still loyal to him.

“He’s in the country, » Moussa Ibrahim told Reuters on Friday in a call from an undisclosed location. “He’s in a safe place surrounded by many people who are prepared to protect him.”

Ibrahim, who said he did not know exactly where Gaddafi was, dismissed suggestions that Bani Walid was ready to surrender. He said he himself had been moving around a « southern suburb of Tripoli » with Gaddafi’s son and heir-apparent Saif al-Islam.

On frontlines to the east and west of Sirte, fighters also said on Saturday they were ready to move in.

Ahmed al-Amal, a unit commander to the west, said: « Refugees coming out of Sirte have told us there’s no food, fuel, water or electricity in the city. Gaddafi families in Sirte are forcing civilians to obey. They are mistreating them. A lot of people are angry and fed up."

Independent accounts from Sirte, Bani Walid and Sabha, deep in the Sahara desert, have not been available as communications appear to be largely cut off. On Friday, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) called on all sides to protect civilians and allow the agency to provide aid to Sirte.

To the east of Sirte, whose resistance still effectively divides the country in two between Benghazi and Tripoli, fighters were also dug in and, they said, ready to advance.

“We are awaiting the green light from the council, » said Naji al-Maghrabi, commander of the “Omar al-Mukhtar Brigade », named for a Libyan hero of battles against Italian colonialists.
“If they tell us, ‘Move into Sirte now,’ we will.”

One fighter, Belqassem Souliman, said: “They have no way out but to surrender or die.”

 

Date created : 2011-09-04

  • LIBYA

    Libyan fighters surround Gaddafi desert bastion

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    Files show MI6, CIA link to Gaddafi

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    UN envoy to discuss role in post-Gaddafi Libya

    Read more

COMMENT(S)