Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

WEB NEWS

France: fighting political corruption with transparency

Read more

WEB NEWS

Using the web to further the cause: ISIS vs USA

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

No strategy and a beige suit

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014

Read more

ENCORE!

Alain Choquette: A Hilarious Magician in Paris

Read more

FOCUS

France welcomes Iraqi Christian refugees

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Emmanuel Macron: A new economy minister with a pro-business agenda

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

More of this year's best Observers stories

Read more

  • EU mulls Russia sanctions as Kiev warns of 'full-scale war'

    Read more

  • Filipino UN troops escape Islamists in Golan Heights

    Read more

  • Algerian diplomats held by Islamists are freed in Mali

    Read more

  • US aid drops begin in besieged Iraqi town of Amerli

    Read more

  • Pakistani protesters clash with police outside PM's house

    Read more

  • UK boy with brain tumour found in Spain, parents held

    Read more

  • Poland's Tusk, Italy's Mogherini set for top EU jobs

    Read more

  • Austerity row overshadows French Socialists' annual rally

    Read more

  • Egypt sentences Brotherhood leader Badie to life

    Read more

  • Ceasfire allows Gaza families to relax on the beach

    Read more

  • South Africa condemns 'military coup' in Lesotho

    Read more

  • Exclusive: Fabius warns Russia of more sanctions

    Read more

  • Kerry calls for 'coalition of nations' to battle IS militants

    Read more

  • Ukrainian plane with seven on board crashes in Algeria

    Read more

  • IMF backs Lagarde amid French corruption probe

    Read more

  • British killer escapes from French psychiatric hospital

    Read more

Africa

NATO extends Libya air campaign by 90 days

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-09-21

NATO will extend its air campaign in Libya by another 90 days and will remain "as long as necessary", Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said Wednesday. The United States, Britain and France launched the first air strikes on March 19.

AFP - NATO allies on Wednesday decided to extend their air campaign in Libya by another 90 days, as forces loyal to ousted strongman Moamer Kadhafi maintain resistance.

NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said warplanes would stay in the air as long as Libyan civilians are under threat but the mission will be under constant review and could be called off "at any time."

"We are determined to continue our mission for as long as necessary, but ready to terminate the operation as soon as possible," Rasmussen said, calling the extension a "technical rollover" of a mission that has lasted six months.

Any decision to end the air strikes will be taken in coordination with the United Nations and "in line with the will of the Libyan authorities," he said.

"This decision sends a clear message to the Libyan people. We will be there for as long as necessary, but not a day longer, while you take your future in your hands to ensure a safe transition to the new Libya."

The new mandate was accepted "without any disagreements," a NATO diplomat said, adding that NATO military authorities would provide an update on the situation on the ground every month.

The current 90-day mandate was due to expire on September 27.

The UN Security Council unanimously agreed last week to maintain the no-fly zone which has been used to justify NATO air strikes against Kadhafi targets.

"So long as the Libyan people are being threatened, the NATO-led mission to protect them will continue," US President Barack Obama said Tuesday at a United Nations meeting on Libya welcoming the country's new leadership.

Libya's National Transitional Council took control of Tripoli last month, but Kadhafi forces still control some towns, putting up a fierce resistance in the deposed despot's hometown of Sirte after seven months of fighting.

The new rulers declared victory in the battle for the key southern desert city of Sabha on Wednesday.

But anti-Kadhafi forces have taken heavy losses in the battle for Sirte. Medics say at least 45 NTC fighters have been killed and more than 200 wounded since they launched an offensive last week.

A coalition led by the United States, France and Britain launched the first air strikes against Kadhafi forces on March 19.

NATO took over the mission on March 31.

Only seven nations from the 28-nation alliance are taking part in the air strikes -- the United States, France, Britain, Canada, Denmark, Italy and Belgium. Norway's bombers dropped out of the mission in August.

NATO aircraft have conducted 8,751 missions aimed at idenfifying or hitting targets, according to the alliance's latest figures.
 

Date created : 2011-09-21

  • LIBYA

    Gaddafi defies NATO in new phone message to media

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    Gaddafi still commanding troops, NATO says

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    Opposition launch assault on Sirte after NATO strikes

    Read more

COMMENT(S)