Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

IN THE PAPERS

Requiem for a recorder

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

"The pen is mightier than the sword"

Read more

FOCUS

Israel's minorities and military service

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Russia targets McDonald's over tensions with West

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola: Liberian authorities admit 17 patients are missing

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

'New York Post' slammed for publishing Foley execution images

Read more

DEBATE

Israel-Gaza: Back to Square One?

Read more

DEBATE

Israel-Gaza: Back to Square One? (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Israel-Gaza conflict: 72-hour ceasefire deal sets stage for Cairo talks

Read more

  • US forces tried to rescue slain reporter from IS captors

    Read more

  • Israeli air strike kills three top Hamas commanders

    Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

  • Former Irish PM Albert Reynolds dies at 81

    Read more

  • Tensions high in Yemen as Shiite rebel deadline looms

    Read more

  • Thailand coup leader Prayuth Chan-ocha voted prime minister

    Read more

  • Deadly street battles hit Ukrainian rebel stronghold

    Read more

  • US attorney general visits Missouri town after fatal shooting

    Read more

  • French village rallies behind besieged elderly British couple

    Read more

  • Brazil’s Silva launches bid after Campos plane crash death

    Read more

  • Netanyahu compares Hamas to IS, Gaza offensive to continue

    Read more

  • Brutal IS beheading video sparks social media pushback

    Read more

  • France’s ex-PM Juppé sets up presidential clash with Sarkozy

    Read more

  • France’s Hollande says global security ‘worst since 2001’

    Read more

  • France urges Iran, others in region, to join fight against IS

    Read more

Middle east

Dozens killed in clashes across Sanaa, activists say

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-09-25

More than 40 people were killed in clashes Saturday between forces loyal to President Ali Abdullah Saleh and anti-regime protesters across the Yemeni capital Sanaa, activists have reported.

AFP - Dozens of people were killed during clashes in the Yemeni capital Saturday, a day after President Ali Abdullah Saleh returned following three months away saying he was "carrying the dove of peace."

As the death toll mounted, the UN Security Council and the United States renewed their calls for an end to violence and a transition towards democracy.

More than 40 people were killed in battles that hit several neighbourhoods across Sanaa, including Change Square, epicentre of anti-regime demonstrations, an activist from the protest organising committee said.

He said hundreds of others had been wounded as the death toll spiralled to 173 people over the past week. State news agency Saba said 24 of Saleh's soldiers had also been killed.

"We slept and woke up to the non-stop sound of gunfire," one Sanaa resident told AFP as clashes between rival military units raged in the city centre.

As shots echoed around the capital, hundreds of thousands of people set out on a march from Change Square, which itself came under renewed fire from the security forces.

Flames leapt from shops and homes along Sanaa's central business avenue, witnesses said.

An eerie calm finally prevailed in the late afternoon as the guns fell silent.

A dissident military spokesman said 11 of his division's troops were killed and 112 wounded when elite Republican Guard troops, commanded by Saleh's son Ahmed, attacked a camp of the First Armoured Brigade north of Change Square.

"The camp was targeted by 60 shells," said the spokesman.

Republican Guards have engaged in a week of clashes with dissident soldiers from the First Armoured Brigade, headed by General Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar, who have protected anti-regime protesters camped out on Change Square.

Security forces have also been fighting supporters of dissident tribal chief Sheikh Sadiq al-Ahmar in Sanaa's northern Al-Hasaba district.

Saleh's troops killed at least 17 people in an attack just after midnight on Friday, shelling and firing on Change Square which protesters first occupied in February.

"Seventeen people were killed and 55 others were wounded," said Mohammed al-Qabati, a medic at the field hospital there.

Snipers had also opened fire from buildings around the square, witnesses said. But even after Republican Guards burned down tents there, tens of thousands of people remain camped in the square.

Saleh returned to Yemen on Friday, preaching peace, after a three-month absence in Saudi Arabia, where he was treated for wounds sustained in a June 3 bomb attack on his palace.

"I have returned home carrying the dove of peace and an olive branch, not holding any grudges or hatred towards anyone," Saba quoted Saleh as saying.

The agency said the president would make "an important speech to mark the 49th anniversary" of the September 26, 1962 revolution that saw Yemen proclaimed a republic, although no appearance has been officially announced.

Saleh, who has been in power since 1978, traditionally makes his speech on the eve of the anniversary.

A statement from the UN Security Council called for all sides to "reject violence, including against peaceful and unarmed civilians, and show maximum restraint.

"They called on all parties to move forward urgently in an inclusive, orderly and Yemeni-led process of political transition," it said.

On Friday, even as the 69-year-old president called for a ceasefire and talks, the United States urged him to step down, with the White House calling on him to begin a "full transfer of power."

The US State Department again called for an end to the conflict.

"The Yemeni government must immediately address the democratic aspirations of its people," spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said.

Arab Gulf foreign ministers condemned the violence and echoed the US calls urging Saleh to "immediately" sign a Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) transition plan that has been on the table for months.

They also called for "self-restraint, a complete and immediate ceasefire, and for forming a commission of inquiry in the latest events that have cost the lives of innocent Yemenis."

Saturday's UN Security Council statement also stressed the role of the GCC initiative, which sets out a transition to a new government.
 

Date created : 2011-09-25

  • YEMEN

    Troops open fire despite Saleh's calls for ceasefire

    Read more

  • YEMEN

    President Saleh returns to Yemen, calls for ceasefire

    Read more

  • YEMEN

    Sanaa protests turn deadly after Yemeni forces open fire

    Read more

COMMENT(S)