Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

#TECH 24

Anonymous Vs ISIS

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola virus: US to send 3,000 troops to West Africa

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Nigeria attack: Bomb blast in college in Kano

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola: Lockdown brings Sierra Leone capital to a halt

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Sarkozy's political comeback: did he ever leave?

Read more

DEBATE

The World This Week

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Travel chaos: Air France pilots take industrial action

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Christian Kastrop, Director of Policy Studies, OECD

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola: UN Security Council unanimously passes resolution

Read more

Americas

Trial of 'underwear bomber' begins in Detroit

Video by Shirli SITBON

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-10-04

A Nigerian national accused of trying to blow up a US-bound airliner in 2009 with explosives hidden in his underwear goes on trial in Detroit on Tuesday. Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab has insisted on presenting his own defence.

AFP - The Nigerian man known as "the underwear bomber" was ordered to change out of an oversized white T-shirt Tuesday at the start of his trial on charges of trying to blow up a US-bound airliner.

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, who has insisted on representing himself, ran into his first setback as jury selection got underway when Judge Nancy Edmunds called a short break and told the 24-year-old Nigerian to change into a shirt and tie.

Edmunds has repeatedly urged Abdulmutallab to let a lawyer argue his case, and appointed "standby counsel" to help him contest charges that he tried to kill nearly 300 people aboard a Northwest Airlines flight from Amsterdam to Detroit.

While he accepted some help, Abdulmutallab insists he will make his own opening statement and will question witnesses during what is expected to be a weeks-long trial.

The trial will be closely watched as it comes after the killing of Al-Qaeda preacher Anwar al-Awlaqi in a US air strike in Yemen. US intelligence officials have repeatedly linked the US-born cleric to the Christmas Day plot.

The Christmas Day plot was foiled when explosives stitched into Abdulmutallab's underwear failed to detonate and only caused a small fire, allowing passengers and crew members to restrain him.

The botched operation triggered global alarm and led the United States to adopt stringent new screening and security measures, including controversial pat-downs at airports and a massive expansion of the no-fly list.

The reputation of the nation's intelligence services also took a hit because Abdulmutallab's father, a prominent Nigerian banker, had warned the CIA about his son's growing Islamic radicalization.

Republicans capitalized on the missteps and the revived security fears to paint President Barack Obama as weak on terror.

They have blocked his plans to shut down Guantanamo Bay and prosecute self-confessed 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and other high-profile "enemy combatants" in US civilian courts.

Zacarias Moussaoui, the only 9/11 plotter to be tried in a US court, also represented himself and tried to use his trial as a platform for Al-Qaeda propaganda.

Abdulmutallab was calm and respectful during most of his pre-trial hearings, but as the case moved closer to trial he grew disruptive and unruly.

At one point, he said Muslims could only be judged by the law of the Koran, and as he walked into court for a September 15 pre-trial hearing, he shouted out "Osama's alive!", referring to slain Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

The botched Christmas Day plot cast a spotlight on Yemen, where Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) is increasingly seen by US officials as a threat comparable to the terror network's core leadership in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Last week the Washington Post reported that the United States was building an array of new drone bases in east Africa and the Indian Ocean to better strike at Al-Qaeda targets in Yemen and war-torn Somalia.

Opening statements are expected on October 11.
 

Date created : 2011-10-04

  • YEMEN

    US confirms killing of al Qaeda cleric in Yemen

    Read more

  • YEMEN

    Killing of US-born al Qaeda cleric raises legal questions

    Read more

COMMENT(S)